Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Problems caused by the update to Windows 10

I had a good setup. Ultra Recall was one of the solutions for organising my notes, I had Microsoft Word files and Microsoft Excel files embedded within the UR database and they could be edited within UR in the item details pane.

Then an update was forced upon me by Microsoft, my laptop upgraded to Windows 10 without my permission or instigation.

I had to re-create the setup as it was from my backed up data and re-installing all the programs.

I have tried to re-create the UR setup as it was before the upgrade, but some things have changed. My laptop was destroyed by the upgrade so I have had to buy a new one. Also MIcrosoft did not recognise my license for Office 2007 so I have had to buy a new one, Office 2013.

I used to be able to edit office documents within Ultra Recall, I have tried to re-create that setup but it seems with a combination of Office 2013 and Windows 10 the documents always open externally and start up the application, which I could live with, reluctantly, but it would be better if they would open inside UR.

I have the settings as they were before the upgrade (or at least I think I do).

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:10 PM
Administrator

See here for uninstalling Windows 10:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/

As far as editing Office documents internally w/ Office 2013, this still works in our tests on Windows 10:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1042
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2016, 03:37 AM

In my experience, Windows updates - with almost all versions of Windows - almost invariably cause Office files to be displayed externally, even though they were previously displayed internally in UR; this problem can be readily solved by double-clicking the .REG file linked to in Kinook's reply. So it's a good thing to save this .REG file for future reuse - that's what I do.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
See here for uninstalling Windows 10:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/

As far as editing Office documents internally w/ Office 2013, this still works in our tests on Windows 10:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1042
The Windows 10 downgrade only works if you have a working computer, like I said the upgrade to windows 10 destroyed my computer.

I had missed the registry file, yes it worked but the documents now open at a LARGE magnification, like the ribbon takes most of the height of the details pane with just a small strip at the bottom to edit my document.

Now that I have it (at least partially) working I have more opitons to try and get it looking correct.

Thank You.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Based on my experience, the best way to solve such problems is to open a/the document in Word and set the display size and other parameters to whatever you desire; then when you view the document internally in UR, it will display according to your regular view settings in Word.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM7 View Post
Based on my experience, the best way to solve such problems is to open a/the document in Word and set the display size and other parameters to whatever you desire; then when you view the document internally in UR, it will display according to your regular view settings in Word.
That's not the way it works. I have two screens with very different resolutions, the main laptop screen is 3200x1800 the second screen is a monitor plugged into the laptop which is much bigger physically but a much smaller number of pixels.

When opened normally, outside UR, MS Word scales to suit the screen it is on.

When opened within UR on the Monitor it appears normal size but fuzzy as if a smoothing filter has been applied.

If opened within UR on the laptop main screen it is scaled up to what it would look like on the monitor screen if it were scaled to the same number of pixels as on the laptop screen.

If the monitor is not plugged in then it appears at a normal scaling, but when I am at home or in the Lab at work I always plug in a second monitor.

I don't understand what is going on here!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I don't either, but it's not something that UR itself has control over. UR is hosting Internet Explorer, which in turn is hosting Word. Apparently Windows 10/Word/IE doesn't fully support scaling when hosted in this way.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Administrator

This may work better in v5.3, which is high DPI aware.

Tags
ole , windows 10

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: