Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Old 03-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Total Commander (Alike) (previously known as Volkov and Windows Commander)

http://www.ghisler.com/picture.htm

Total commander is my favourite Windows application [after UR ], to manage files and directories in Windows. The two panel is very comfortable to use.

I played a little with UR, and ... two Data Explorers in UR brought to life, enabled easy drag/drop from one pane to another. You can have a special Layout set for this, which is perfect then to manage bigger tree (see screenshot).

Warnings!!!

- once you move (yes, you need to move, not just link) your root of Data Explorer to Search Pane, you cannot delete it from there (or at least I havent found a way)
- unfortunately, the panes are not being refreshed properly, I dont know why. Maybe it's a bug (if you dont consider moving the whole tree into the Search pane a bug in the first place, haha)

All in all, don't try it, just wanted to share my findings ;-)
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM

I use TC also but don't understand how you are integrating it with UR. And I'm not sure I grasp the purpoe either.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
I use TC also but don't understand how you are integrating it with UR. And I'm not sure I grasp the purpoe either.
no integration of TC inside UR at all ... just the familiar 2 pane windows that I miss and find very convenient to manage directories and files. I woudn't try this if there was on option to have two instances of Data Explorer pane at the same time. I often move and link the notes and directories along a long distances and you can do this for example by opening "Link/Move/Copy" items window, but this window is not a pane that can be attached somewhere
Old 03-29-2007, 06:25 AM

Could you arrange two explorer panes in or not ?
If you could, tell us how, or is it only a wish for a future version of UR ?
Is you picture eventually only a montage ?

Hartmut
Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hartmut
Could you arrange two explorer panes in or not ?
If you could, tell us how, ...
as was said "once you move (yes, you need to move, not just link) your root of Data Explorer to Search Pane, ..."

Go to your root, Alt+L, then move it to "My Searches", done

Quote:
... or is it only a wish for a future version of UR ?
I guess some people (including me) would find it useful if one could have more that one instance of Data Explorer pane shown at the same time. This is only a hack, and doesnt work well because for some reasons the panes are not refreshed properly, even thought the drag/drop works as expected.

Quote:
Is you picture eventually only a montage ?
it's not, try it, but do it with a new test database ...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
no integration of TC inside UR at all ... just the familiar 2 pane windows that I miss and find very convenient to manage directories and files. I woudn't try this if there was on option to have two instances of Data Explorer pane at the same time. [snip]
It is very true that what happens after user clicks <ALT>L, it is sometimes tedious to find what it is you want to link to & your solution, were it to exist in UR itself, might be a useful option. Maybe Kinook is thinking about it....or something else in the same dept. for a future version.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: