Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM

Palm HotSync causing UR tool bar to vansih

This is really wierd.

I've traced the Outlook toolbar disappearance on my system to the Palm Hotsync process which I run every other day or so.

- The Outlook toolbar is installed and running
- I load the HotSync process (Outlook is still OK)
- I run a HotSync, quit the app and start Outlook
- The toolbar is gone
- I re-register the toolbar and all works fine until the next Hotsync

I'm running HotSync Manger 4.1.0 with PocketMirror 3.1.6.0 and Outlook 2003 on XP Pro SP2. It could be a PocketMirror conflict as that does sync the Outlook database. I'l run a couple of tests to confirm.

Side Note: I've been running this Palm setup on my computer for several years w/o any problems. Why this would be a problme now is pretty odd.

Maynard
Old 06-13-2006, 01:35 PM

Yup. It's definitely a conflict with PocketMirror.

There are four conduits (contacts, calendar, tasks and notes). If any one of those is enabled, the Outlook toolbar gets nuked.

maynard
Old 06-14-2006, 04:08 AM

Unhappy

I have the same problem, also apparently associated with the running of Palm Hotsync.

As a temporary fix, I have done two things:

1. Only launch the HotSync Manager when I need it, rather than have it permanently resident from start-up.
2. Keep Outlook open when I hotsync.

These steps seem to have worked so far.

My trial version of UR is also suffering from Outlook Wandering Toolbar Syndrome (see a previous thread). Kinook has sent me the registry settings programme, but so far this has not cured it

I really hope there are solutions to both these issues, because they're both irritations and my intended use for the software (which otherwise seems excellent) is to harvest data from Outlook and via Listpro from my Palm.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:19 AM

Re: Palm HotSync causing UR tool bar to vansih

Quote:
Originally posted by maynard
This is really wierd.

I've traced the Outlook toolbar disappearance on my system to the Palm Hotsync process which I run every other day or so.

- The Outlook toolbar is installed and running
- I load the HotSync process (Outlook is still OK)
- I run a HotSync, quit the app and start Outlook
- The toolbar is gone
- I re-register the toolbar and all works fine until the next Hotsync

I'm running HotSync Manger 4.1.0 with PocketMirror 3.1.6.0 and Outlook 2003 on XP Pro SP2. It could be a PocketMirror conflict as that does sync the Outlook database. I'l run a couple of tests to confirm.

Side Note: I've been running this Palm setup on my computer for several years w/o any problems. Why this would be a problme now is pretty odd.

Maynard
In one of the links posted by Kinook earlier in this thread, there appears to be an explanation. Something to do with the way Outlook handles the synching process when it is not open - it makes a copy of itself that "neglects" the add-in.

This is way beyond my expertise, but it sounds pretty fundamental to Outlook's behaviour. However, I have used other Outlook add-ins, including one with a resident toolbar, that have remained happily and securely anchored during a Palm Hotsync, whether Outlook is open or closed - so there must be a way round.

(I have wondered whether uninstalling all the programmes and re-installing first Outlook, then UR, then Palm Hotsync Manager may be a solution. But I don't have the time at present to try to find out.)

Last edited by Hugh; 06-14-2006 at 04:22 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: