Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 04-07-2007, 09:43 AM

Internet search bar

Please, I'd like to put in a plea for a plug-in Internet search bar, to enter a search term without having to go to the search engine first. It would make using the browser in UR much more productive.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 AM

Sorry, I wont support this one (as I wont support any of the "one click away" feature requests, haha)

Just make an item with a link to your favourite search engine, and put it in your favourites. One click of a button, and there you go ...
Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Nevertherless, my request stands. When I'm searching the web and clipping data into UR, I don't want to have to locate a link in the data explorer, and then (if I want to move data to a highlighted folder), move back to that folder. Then, when searching for a new term start the process again...

I'd really like UR to make my life easier, and it would be nice if alternative work methods were supported.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:01 AM

I didn't remove your request, just giving some alternative ideas ;-)
Quote:
Originally posted by grahamrhind
I don't want to have to locate a link in the data explorer, ...
you dont have to locate it if you move it to your favorites, you can also assign keyboard shortcut

Quote:
.... and then (if I want to move data to a highlighted folder), move back to that folder. Then, when searching for a new term start the process again...
I see, so maybe Kinook could add the feature that for example by holding ALT and going to an item, it would show the item details, but wouldn't change the current item. This could be called PEEK feature
and it would also solve your problem ....
Old 04-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant

you dont have to locate it if you move it to your favorites, you can also assign keyboard shortcut
This is true, and I didn't think about that. That is how browsers used to work - you could add a link to your bookmarks and click on it there. But search bars within the browser have been adopted by all browsers these days, because it is so much easier for the user to type their search term in directly than to go to the book marks/favourites and click on it there. A little lazy, perhaps, but a fact of life. It saves time and clicks.

Apologies for straying into "general discussion" here, but what UR is is a fancy interface built onto a database engine. The people at Kinook are very technically minded - very clearly shown in their help files which tell you how things work but not how to use the product [I appreciate that the potential is pretty far-reaching and therefore difficult to describe easily, but it could be done much better] - and their approach is technical too. That means that most people agree that the learning curve for UR is (too) steep, and you have to have the same sort of technical depth to get the most out of it.

Now, Kinook may not care about this, but most companies wouldn't deliberately exclude a big chunk of their potential market by refusing to make their program easier to use. I'd like to see a lot more short cuts and one-click solutions added to UR so that I can work with it seamlessly rather than having to wrack my brain to think of a solution when faced with each (common) challenge.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
This is true, and I didn't think about that. That is how browsers used to work - you could add a link to your bookmarks and click on it there. But search bars within the browser have been adopted by all browsers these days, because it is so much easier for the user to type their search term in directly than to go to the book marks/favourites and click on it there. A little lazy, perhaps, but a fact of life. It saves time and clicks.
hehe, you caught me, I removed that search bar from all my three browsers, mainly because of taking too much space ;-) One has to click into the search area, which is the same as clicking on shortcut button, cause you can then type directly, so no click saved Moreover, the address bars are intelligent now, so when you type directly there, it will recognize and search that in your favorite search engine (at least Firefox does that)

Quote:
Now, Kinook may not care about this, but most companies wouldn't deliberately exclude a big chunk of their potential market by refusing to make their program easier to use. I'd like to see a lot more short cuts and one-click solutions added to UR so that I can work with it seamlessly rather than having to wrack my brain to think of a solution when faced with each (common) challenge.
I agree! It's maybe because I very much enjoy the process of "wracking my brain" that I first think of all the various combinations before considering the most straightforward one, haha
Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

One way to do this is via IE's SearchURL capability (which also works in the UR browser address combo).

http://www.commandline.co.uk/searchurl/
http://kinook.com/Download/IESearch.reg
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/webtoolbar.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: