Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM

Run command (remote) with x64 remote server

VBP 6.3 - Windows server 2003
I need a little help diagnosing a problem with running a remote command on a x64 target system - I just get a exit code 1 failure (see output below) - if I copy/paste the command to the target system, it works just fine - I have tried in the remote tab both running as Local System and as my account as well to try and eliminate security as an issue - this command works fine when the remote system is a 32 bit system but seems to fail on x64. the PsEC.tmp is empty - I need some help diagnosing this...

7/2/2007 1:47:21 PM: Building project step 'Run corflags to mark the exe as 32 bit'...
cmd /c PsExec >C:\DOCUME~1\daves\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\PsEC.tmp -s \\ALPHADW01 "C:\Program Files\XATA Corporation\XATANETV4.0\CorFlags.exe" -32Bit+ "C:\Program Files\XATA Corporation\XATANETV4.0\ReportScheduler\XataNetSch eduledTask.exe"

Process completed with exit code 1
7/2/2007 1:47:22 PM: Step 'Run corflags to mark the exe as 32 bit' failed
7/2/2007 1:47:22 PM: Build ended.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

One possibility: The 32-bit programs path on 64-bit Windows is typically "C:\Program Files (x86)" rather than "C:\Program Files".

VBP is invoking PsExec to actually run the program remotely, so you would need to contact SysInternals support about getting more error information or details on why the bittedness of the remote computer would affect PsExec and/or your program. To reproduce the problem outside VBP, create a new text file and copy/paste the logged PsExec command-line followed by

echo %ERRORLEVEL%

into a .bat file and run it from a Command Prompt.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM

re: Run command (remote) with x64 remote server

are you talking about a path (x86) that affects psexec? its not my path because I did actually copy the files there (I know I know 32 bit apps don't belong in program files on x64- that's on my todo list). anyway, like I said the command runs fine on the box itself with the same paths. I'll go to the psexec forum for this too, but since psexec installs a service, where does it put the exe for the service?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Re: Run command (remote) with x64 remote server

OK, even better - I got a failure with a 32 bit system (same error) - so, perplexed I started troubleshooting - I logged the command line that's used and copy/paste the command line to a command prompt and it works!!! - it also worked against my x64 box - now my question is why isn't it working from visual build?

Also on a side-note I couldn't find where visual build stores psexec - I have a copy for myself to run from the command line located in the project directory, but I guess I expected to find a copy of it somewhere under c:\program files\visualbuildpro6 Where does visual build run psexec from? I was starting to think I may have had path problems but since I can't find psexec I'm a bit confused...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Run command (remote) with x64 remote server

Quote:
Originally posted by stienessen
OK, even better - I got a failure with a 32 bit system (same error) - so, perplexed I started troubleshooting - I logged the command line that's used and copy/paste the command line to a command prompt and it works!!! - it also worked against my x64 box - now my question is why isn't it working from visual build?

Also on a side-note I couldn't find where visual build stores psexec - I have a copy for myself to run from the command line located in the project directory, but I guess I expected to find a copy of it somewhere under c:\program files\visualbuildpro6 Where does visual build run psexec from? I was starting to think I may have had path problems but since I can't find psexec I'm a bit confused...
It could be that PsExec is not in the path for VBP to invoke (cmd.exe will fail with an exit code of 1 if it's unable to launch the specified program). You can verify this by creating and building a Run Program step with a command of psexec and blank computer on the Remote tab. It will fail with "Failed to create process: The system cannot find the file specified" if it couldn't be found.

VBP does not install PsExec; it must be available in its PATH environment.
http://www.visualbuild.com/Manual/programremotetab.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: