Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 02:44 AM

Outlook, like other MS Office programs is a modular application. The Outlook interface is like a front end to various modules handling the Outlook functions. Send/receive mail is such a module.

ldangelo's hack calls the viewing modules, providing the ability to read/write Outlook data. In theory, it could be possible to call the send/receive mail module from outside Outlook though I have no idea how to do that.

alx
Old 11-01-2006, 11:35 AM

To send new mail, you can do this...

1. Create a shortcut somewhere (if your UR is set to store documents, you're all set; if you're set to link to them, store this shortcut somewhere permanent). Call it "New Mail."

The Target for the shortcut should be:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.email

2. Drag this shortcut to wherever you want it in UR.

There you go -- now you can send email from within UR. Well, technically it'll open a new window for the editing of the email, but even Outlook itself does that.

There are supposed to be a bunch of IPM codes for Outlook (I'm about to go look more up right now), and there might be one for Send/Receive too.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Deg
Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 AM

More information can be found here:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm

* /c ipm.activity creates a Journal entry
* /c ipm.appointment creates an appointment
* /c ipm.contact creates a contact
* /c ipm.note creates an e-mail message
* /c ipm.stickynote creates a note
* /c ipm.task creates a task

I saw nothing anywhere about a way to do Send/Receive (that is, not without some programming skills way beyond my level).

I should also point out that my previous post assumes a default Outlook 2003 install and some basic knowledge of Windows Shortcuts. If you need further assistance, reply here and I'll help out as I'm able to.

Deg
Old 12-15-2006, 04:13 PM

I just downloaded my evaluation copy and, so far, I'm impressed. I'm also impressed with this thread. Not only have I successfully linked my Outlook customer base, I linked this thread, too!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 AM

Question Fantastic!

This is VERY useful! Thanks!

I noticed that drag n' drop does not work for outlook emails in the inbox (when viewed within UR using this trick). Is there a work around for this, or do I still need to open Outlook in order to drag emails into other locations within UR?

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2007, 02:01 PM

Thumbs up

Hi!
Very interesting idea!
Here is the reference for Outlook View Control.
Some examples : here.
It seems that FrontPage contains some shortcut ways to do such things with outlook view control automatically without direct writing of HTML code. But I didn't have it at hand, do I can't check just now.
Quote:
Originally posted by Drew1278
I noticed that drag n' drop does not work for outlook emails in the inbox (when viewed within UR using this trick). Is there a work around for this, or do I still need to open Outlook in order to drag emails into other locations within UR?
As for me, drag'n'drop from html view of inbox (linked in UR) works as well as from outlook directly.

Last edited by baturin; 01-21-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 AM

Can somebody confirm to me that the tricks explained in this thread do not apply to Outlook 2007? The first message spoke about "the html" files. Outlook 2007 doesn't have html files as far as I can see, and from that point I was lost.

Can anybody explain how this sort of Outlook integration can be done in Outlook 2007?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:05 PM

I now see that the original poster was referring to the html files in the zip file in the next post (apologies - I'm one of those people who like to keep long stories long).

BUT - note: this ONLY works with Internet Explorer. If in version 3 you have the "Use Mozilla/Firefox internal browser" switched on, you only get a "Click here to open file" link in UR, which just links to an apparently empty html page. Same if you open the html files in any browser other than IE and then drag and drop them.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM

I love this trick! Very nifty legerdemain getting Outlook integration.

I've looked over the documentation on the control and experimented a bit, but I cannot figure out how to change the calendar view from Month to Week to Day. The "View" parameter doesn't seem to control this.

Anyone have any luck with this?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: