Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 PM

Question Outlook Sync

I'm having a tough time syncing with Outlook. The URL in the sample database doesn't work and I can't use the 3rd party linker tool suggested because it requires administrator rights to run and my company has removed those rights from employee PCs. The URL "outlook:Inbox" works EXCEPT it opens another copy of Outlook externally. Any ideas on how I can link and sync to Outlook from within UR?

Thanks in advance,
Marty
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Do you mean that syncing works but selecting a synced message in UR displays the message externally instead of within UR? Do you have .msg in 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view'?
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038
Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Unhappy Outlook Sync still creates phantom blank emails

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Work, you know. Anyway, I am now using URP 4.1a and I am able to drag a copy of my inbox into UR. The first time I do this, all the emails import fine. It does take a long time (10 minutes for 190 emails, FTS enabled). However, when I do "synchronize", UR sits there for several minutes after which I can watch the name of each email as UR syncs. When it gets to the most recent, it stops on that email for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, it seems to quickly fly through all the changes since the last sync. While UR is flying through those emails, I can watch my Outlook inbox grow as new, blank emails are added.

I believe this is an old problem that others think has gone away but I continue to have it. I have compressed and compacked the .urd and I've tried this with a fresh .urd with the same results. I'm running on Window XP SP3 and Outlook from a MS exchange server.

Help!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Its seems that for some users, the Outlook object model reports different GUIDs for the same item. There is no way for UR to reliably sync when it does this. We've never been able to reproduce that behavior here. Turning Exchange cache mode on or off might help.

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3380
Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Thank you for the reply. One other bit of data; after UR and Outlook sync, the lower right portion of the status line in Outlook says "Send/Receive Status 95%" and stays that way until I click on the little triangle by the message and select "Cancel Send/Receive".
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by martym
Thank you for the reply. One other bit of data; after UR and Outlook sync, the lower right portion of the status line in Outlook says "Send/Receive Status 95%" and stays that way until I click on the little triangle by the message and select "Cancel Send/Receive".
Hi Marty,
"Send/Receive" may not have anything to do with UR Sync.
Armstrong
Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 AM

Question

Hi all,
I have some new information on my Outlook syncing problem. The extra blank emails that are created in Outlook when I sync with UR only occur if I delete an email in Outlook that has already been sync'd over to UR. That is, when the UR inbox contains emails that are no longer in Outlook. For each descrepancy, a blank email is created.
As long as I delete (shift DEL) from UR, the two inboxes stay in sync and no phantom blank emails are created. Is there some setting that I can change that will tell UR to delete emails that do not exist in Outlook? Sort of a "who's the master"?
I spend a lot of time in Outlook and can't abandon it entirely for UR but I really love the functionality of the UR search capabilities.

Marty
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator

UR/Outlook sync is non-destructive, so you would also need to delete any messages in UR that you deleted in Outlook to prevent UR from trying to recreate them in Outlook when syncing. We'll consider adding a purge capability to delete synced items in UR that no longer exist in Outlook. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 AM

I was a little surprised by the way the Outlook sync works. I upgraded from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 a month ago. I had Outlook 2003 installed on XP but did not install Outlook after upgrading to Win7.

I had a few folders of older Outlook messages imported into URp while still on XP. I thought I had just imported the messages themselves, not actually meaning to sync them. However once Windows 7 was installed - and no Outlook - all of those messages only have titles - no message bodies in UR anymore.

So I am guessing that when I imported them (pretty sure I had dragged and dropped them) they were imported as links to Outlook or something like that, and would only show up in UR as long as Outlook was installed and the messages were still there in the same place.

BTW, no problem with losing the messages altogether; I have more than one email archive and so am able to move them into UR again - I keep them in UR for quick access for reference only.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator

The default behavior for Outlook sync and drag/drop is to link, not store in UR. To change that, check Tools | Options | Import | Store contents when importing and syncing files and Outlook items. Or use the Copy to UR button in Outlook, or hold down the Ctrl key when dropping.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Got it.

Thanks!

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: