Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 01-27-2006, 05:46 PM

Implementing a Custom Script

I want to create and implement a custom dialog. I looked at the sample code, Prompt.bld, and created my own VB6 DLL. I saw the "VB6 Action.actn" file and created my own one.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<action DefaultProperty=''>
<GUI Category='Custom Actions' Description='Custom actions' Bitmap='VBProActionShowLabels.dll,101'></GUI>
<ActionComponent>VBProActionShowLabels</ActionComponent>
</action>

I dragged and dropped this action file onto the form, but can't start the DLL. I just get

Error creating custom action 'VBProActionShowLabels': Class not registered
Step 'Run VBProActionShowLabels' failed

or some other error depending on what I try. I don't see anything in the .actn file that will start the VB6 DLL. What am I doing wrong. The online documentation doesn't really talk about the steps necessary after creating the VB6 DLL. I wouldn't mind a "Steps for Dummies" type of section, as it is frustrating.

The VB6 DLL is "VBProActionShowLabels.dll"

Thanks in advance,

Martin
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

The ActionComponent needs to be the ProgID of the COM component implementing the action. For VB6, that will be ProjectName.ClassName. VBP v6 provides a GUI front-end for configuring actions, which simplifies things quite a bit:
http://www.visualbuild.com/Manual/?actionproperties.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply

Your statement makes sense. The sample didn't click, when it said "XXXX.Class1". I didn't realize that "Class1" was the name of the class implementing the function.

I'm at home now (Friday evening), but I will definitely try the new name out on Monday morning and report the results! I really appreciate the quick response.

Thanks a lot! BTW, I'm really glad that my manager turned me on to your product. I was using batch files before and never even knew about your product. I plan to get my own company for my own stuff.

Martin A. Weinberger
Old 01-30-2006, 11:14 AM

Still doesn't work :-(

Never mind on this specific reply. I'm getting inside the DLL but aborting, so now I have to debug. :-)

Last edited by mweinberger; 01-30-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: