Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 02:16 AM

Links to Windows Folders

I did a search on the forum and didnt see anything matching this question.

I woudl like to link to a windows folder. That is have a folder icon and have hypertext link text : "Click here to open linked Folder" but not show in UR the files in the folder.

Today when I drag a windows folder it links the files in the folder. I know from other postings you can't automatically update in UR new links to new files from the original folder when other app creates files (though that would be ideal). Which is why I am asking for above feature.
-
Thanks
Will
Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 PM

Currently, there are 3 ways to create an Info Item linked to a folder exists:

1) Use the Import Wizard (File | Import ...). Choose A folder, then specify the folder, and check Don't import files (just create a link to the folder in Ultra Recall check box).

2) Create a new Folder Info Item. Add the Url Attribute to it, and assign the folder path as the value. If *folder is in the Tools | Options | Browser | File Extensions to display in the internal browser view extension list, the browser view will display the contents of the folder (in the Item Details Pane).
Note: The browser feature works with any non-document type of Template.

3) Create an Document (or Info Item derived from the Document template). Assign the folder path to the Url Attribute.

For any Info Item with a Url Attribute populated with a valid folder path, Item | Open Document (Ctrl+J) will launch Explorer at the folder...

Option 3 above does basically what you are requesting (except the hyperlink isn't labeled ".. open linked folder" but "...document" instead)...

We will add a request to our list of potential new features a way to change the default for dropped folders (to prevent adding the contents but the linked folder instead).