Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2020, 05:21 AM

I tested the following steps and they seem to work to a certain degree, for those that want to tag and organize their files inside a folder in the Hard Disk.

a) Create a note item in UR, called for instance MyFiles.
b) Import (as a child) a folder with its files from the HD.
c) Create any other item in UR as a child (or not) of MyFiles to organize for instance in categories or fields the files imported (as link).
d) Move the (linked) files imported in UR within items of point c).
e) Any further sync to the imported folder (see point b) will update external new files into UR, without changing the links with what is done in UR with the old ones.

A question that comes at this point is the following. Is there a way to change (the path of) the URL attribute in a mass form, i.e. for many (imported) files at once?

This could be necessary for a situation similar to this. One has the files in a folder called "New ebooks" that has been imported. So in UR the URL attribute is "C:\New ebooks", for each file imported (i.e. linked). After some time (a year) one wants to change the name of his HD folder in "Old ebooks 2019". To not disrupt the sync in UR, one would need to change in a mass way all the URLs with "C:\New ebooks" into the new URL "C:\Old ebooks 2019". Can one perform this mass replacement in UR?
Thanks

Last edited by science2002; 01-26-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 AM
Administrator

One option would be to leverage relative paths:

1) Create folder C:\UR\New ebooks\books

2) Create .urd file at C:\UR\New ebooks

3) When importing the folder C:\UR\New ebooks\books, the URLs of folders/files imported from there will be stored relative (i.e., books\path\to\file.ext)

4) If New ebooks is renamed to Old ebooks 2019, the links will still be valid, or if the .urd file is moved to another path C:\UR\old ebooks 2019, which has a subfolder 'books', the relative paths will still match up with files in the relative subfolder.

https://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manua...ronization.htm

The other option would be to use SQLite tools to mass update attribute values. See https://kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2825
Old 01-27-2020, 05:16 AM

Thanks @kinnok. I thought myself of your first solution (relative paths).
The fact in my case is that I usually have a folder structure like this

C:\UR\New ebooks\ (1)
C:\UR\Old ebooks 2019\ (2)
etc.

Then as time goes by the folder "New ebooks" becomes (2), i.e. "Old ebooks YYYY", etc.
I would like to have UR that keeps track of both (1) and (2), so its database is placed in folder UR. In this way, it exploits relative paths (no need to know the letter of the HDD), but I would still need to change the URL folder name from (1) to (2) when time comes.

I will look into your second method then. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Ability to perform one-way sync is implemented in v6.1. See https://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5097 for details (SyncDirection).

Tags
import , keywords , sync