Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 01-14-2005, 05:26 PM

Mime import with attachments/mbx import

When dragging a mime message into UR, the attachments are indexed. I think it would be nice if the attachments were decoded on import and added as child items of the message; if this could be done, I think having the keywords associated with the attachments instead of the message would make sense.

Also, it would be great if an import for generic mbx style mailboxes were added, since quite a few mailers use this format.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

We did consider that, but it leads to complications. Most users will expect the original message to remain intact after importing, and if that is done and child items are also created for a message's attachments, you end up with duplication of data. One solution might be to create "virtual" child items for the attachments, but that would be rather involved.

One enhancement that might help some would be to provide direct access to the attachments from the internal mime viewer, allowing launching and dragging them without first opening the message in its native application via Ctrl+J or the 'click to open' hyperlink.

Regarding mbox format, that is on the list. For now, you can use a little helper script we created that will extract the mbox file messages into separate message files, which can then be imported into UR: http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=758
Old 11-25-2006, 09:23 AM

As a new user I found it confusing(ok frustrating) to drag an email from outlook 2007 into UR pro, have the msg visible but not being able to click on the attachment in the header line "Attachments: foo.pdf"

I was equally surprised to see the pdf was indexed (yeah!) but stumbled onto this when the mail msg kept showing up on some test searches I was doing, but I couldnt find the text in the email til the lightbulb went off and I realized it was in the pdf which I couldnt see in UR..

It would be very nice to be able to click on the attachment and view it.

Personally I think having the attachments created as child nodes feels more intuitive, but I'm still getting my arms around all the things UR can do...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: