Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 08-31-2005, 02:27 PM

Deployment Woes

I am having problems with getting VBP to remotely install. I have tried using the built in VBScript and using the third party tool suggested (psexec) with little luck.

The VBScript came directly from the server example to start a remote build (which I was able to do)

Code:
Dim intRet

intRet = vbld_RemoteExecuteCmd("eleroo", "msiexec.exe /i \\bart\ocp\HandlerDaemon2005.1.00.001.msi /qn", "qauser", "qapass")
If intRet = 0 Then
	Builder.LogMessage "Remote project successfully launched"
	Builder.LogMessage "Remote project failed with code " & intRet
Else
	' if failed, show a message and stop the build
	Builder.LogMessage "Remote project failed with code " & intRet
	Builder.Stop
End If
This comes back saying that it successfully launches, which according to what I can tell, it does launch msiexec.exe. The msi program ends up in the process list. I have also tried putting %doscmd% in front of it, in which case I show both a cmd and a msiexec on the process list. Nothing appears to actully happen with them.

When using PSexec I always get access is denied. The user is set as an admin on the domain, I also created a local admin account and tried that but it also got an access denied error on anything I tried.

I am really at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 08-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Does the msiexec command succeed when run locally on eleroo logged in as qauser?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 AM

Yes the msiexec.exe command runs fine when loged in to the computer.

The Command appears to work fine under the following conditions

- The file is placed locally on the machine and the script is run (ie instead of the file being on 'bart' it is put on 'eleroo'. Then changing the computer name accordingly in the command line)

- Copy the command line and run it from the run prompt or the DOS shell on the local computer (eleroo)

The problem with copying the file to the local machine is most of the files need to be installed on several different machines averaging 10 machines per program, so copying to each one would take a lot of extra time and effort.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

It sounds like the issue has to do with access to network resources (the .msi file) when run remotely. See this article for some details on PsExec security that may shed some light:
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/...19/pg/2/2.html. This should be possible with PsExec -- according to the article, if you specify a username/password "the remote process runs with those credentials and will have access to network resources that the alternative account can access."
Old 09-02-2005, 08:41 AM

PSExec also not working. It always Gets access denied. Which I find odd because the account is an administrator account. I looked through their help and was not able to find any of the issues anyone else had.

I think this really boils down to a problem with network permissions. I am just not sure where to look. If I find out more, I will let everyone know

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: