Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 05-24-2006, 11:51 PM

important features still not yet available???

Hi Kinook

The one crucial function still missing for me is fully empowered search - and an important but not so crucial one of internal hyperlinking.

I agree that Kinook have provided a sophisticated means to construct and save searches - yet I find the process of creating such searches really tiresome - and its put me off I must admit. Take a look at what InfoSelect provide - its very fast and very powerful - yet UR could be much better as it indexes even documents external to itself whereas IS does not.

I find that I am only happy when search enables:

1. ability to construct boolean searches as a single potentially complex string in a search box - including phrase searching, and parentheses to group and/or combinations - and ideally NEAR and NEXT operators.

2. Highlighting all the hits in each document (with ideally navigating to the first hit in each found document).

I think search is the real achilles heel in UR - still. I truly hope there will be a big leap here soon.

Also, looking at the new OneNote 2007 Beta 2 - it has an exceptional internal hyperlinking capability. It enables the context menu copying to clipboard of links to notebooks, sections, pages, locations in documents etc - and gives the link the user friendly name, rather than the path. This is a truly outstanding feature - and one I dearly wish could/would be included in UR. It provides an exceptionally potent means to create a highly productive navigational structure to even a huge infobase. It also enables this for saved web pages, as they are imported intact with all the formatting, images and so forth, and immediately editable, so locations/words/phrases/paragraphs in saved web pages can be linked to a master topic page - or to a location in another document etc... fantastic!

What do others think? - and what are Kinook's intentions re search improvement and adding internal hyperlinking to the list with some timeframe intention?

Regards, IJG
Old 07-10-2006, 02:01 AM

Re: important features still not yet available???

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
Also, looking at the new OneNote 2007 Beta 2 - it has an exceptional internal hyperlinking capability. It enables the context menu copying to clipboard of links to notebooks, sections, pages, locations in documents etc - and gives the link the user friendly name, rather than the path. This is a truly outstanding feature - and one I dearly wish could/would be included in UR. It provides an exceptionally potent means to create a highly productive navigational structure to even a huge infobase. It also enables this for saved web pages, as they are imported intact with all the formatting, images and so forth, and immediately editable, so locations/words/phrases/paragraphs in saved web pages can be linked to a master topic page - or to a location in another document etc... fantastic!
I agree some sort of inter-hyperlinking would be great. Its one of the best aspects of Wikis and why keep trying to use them as KB tools as well. I would suggest a very simple way to get started on this kind of funtionality would be support for UR URLs as I just described in http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...threadid=1902.

This would essentially allow you to copy links and paste them in any UR document or notes that allows them (which is most of them including rtf). You would end up with a inter-hyperlinked DB that allows you to navigate using UR's normal, powerfull means and also "through" the documents like Wikis (which are based on the original, powerful hypercard concept).

Thanks,

d

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: