Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 04-16-2003, 03:08 PM

Question Scheduling the Command Line Version

I scheduled my build project, using the command line version of Visual Build Pro, to run via 'Scheduled Tasks'. If the schedule runs it and I am logged on to Windows everything is fine. However, if I am not logged on when it attempts to run the build the scheduler reports failure with an exit code of 0x80 - Visual Build Pro produces no log in this case.

Are there other options that must be set for Visual Build Pro command line to run when no one is logged on???

Dan Schless
Old 04-17-2003, 01:47 PM

Odds are it is not Visual Build causing the problem, but rather one of the tools you call from it - I think if you run the build interactively and any of the tools you call create a window, you would have to be logged in for that tool to run. What we did is dedicate a PC to building our software - that PC stays logged in at all times - if security is an issue, you can lock the work station (you remain logged in when its locked)

HTH
Dave
Old 04-17-2003, 02:08 PM

This behavior seems to be a common occurrence with any application on XP after SP1 is installed: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...80&sa=N&tab=wg

This post gives a possible workaround:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...3DN%26tab%3Dwg

"On your computer, are your running a service named something like 'HID Input Service' or 'Human Interface Device' service? If so, stop and disable it and restart your computer. Then try any scheduled task. I'm guessing it will work now.

This should help all of those experiencing this issue as a workaround. This is a problem introduced with XP SP1 (if you deinstall SP1, the issue will disappear)."

Fortunately for me, I uninstalled SP1 some time ago (experiencing a blue screen every day or so got a little annoying).

And actually, my tests show that (sans SP1) interactive (GUI) apps will run successfully in Scheduled Tasks even if no user is logged on when the task executes (as long as the user that is specified for the task has the necessary permissions).
Old 04-17-2003, 02:33 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the help .... 'HID Input Service' was indeed the culprit (I do have SP1 installed also). After stopping the service, marking it Manual and re-booting everything is working as expected.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: