Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM

sorting appointment

This user has a series of appointments. Item titles are something like "Board of Finance Mtg", etc. Looking at these appts, there is no way to see which are upcoming, which are past, etc.

Of course, looking at Child Items of Appointments user can sort on begin time but appts in data explorer do not adjust accordingly.

Is this expected behavior?

Will it ever be possible to add colums to the explorer window?

Thank you.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM

Jan,

Did you think of creating a specific search along your requirements and then save it?

Search 1:
- Customer X
- Date: Past

Search 2:
- Customer X
- Date: Today

Search 3:
- Customer X
- Date: next week

etc.

You can save this search for each 'Date range' and change each time you want to run a search the appropriate customer.

Dominik
Old 03-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Columns in the tree don't seem as useful to me as columns in the Child/Search results pane. In a separate pane, the columns, sorting, sizing, etc. can be customized (and is remembered) for each search or item selected in the tree. There is also more room to display columns without hogging most of the main window area.

If columns were added to the tree, the displayed columns would often only be relevant for some parts of the tree. Perhaps a way could be provided to configure and then automatically change the columns displayed as different items in the tree are selected, but this would be inefficient (since the columns for the entire tree would have to be reloaded when changed), could be confusing to have the tree constantly refreshing/changing, and if several columns were displayed would not leave much room for other panes such as details.

I'm probably missing something, so please describe in detail how columns in the tree could be implemented in a useful way.

Now, I agree that alternative sorting (on different attribute[s] and ascending/descending) of the items in the tree, could be useful, but for now, customized sorting is only available in the Child/Search results (and you can get a tree-like view in that pane by creating a limited search for all children [empty search criteria] and showing the Lineage attribute in a column).
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Columns in the tree don't seem as useful to me as columns in the Child/Search results pane. In a separate pane, the columns, sorting, sizing, etc. can be customized (and is remembered) for each search or item selected in the tree. There is also more room to display columns without hogging most of the main window area. [snip]

I'm probably missing something, so please describe in detail how columns in the tree could be implemented in a useful way.

Now, I agree that alternative sorting (on different attribute[s] and ascending/descending) of the items in the tree, could be useful, but for now, customized sorting is only available in the Child/Search results (and you can get a tree-like view in that pane by creating a limited search for all children [empty search criteria] and showing the Lineage attribute in a column).
I agree w you on all counts but here's a thought:

A view structured from a hoisted explorer topic could make use of synched columns.

Examples, contact list as well as appointments or a project with varied steps & due dates. All these could be sorted by different criteria, stored & reached by shortcut or favorite. The two panes, would be synched to one another. Sorting woule directly affect the explorer topic order.

It seems to me that some of this work might already be done in so much as the explorer exists, the child pane with 'linked' data exists. It requires a bridge.

I think what I'm describing, albeit from a non-programmer's POV, is adding a further function to the child pane under certain circumstances, i.e. when a topic is hoisted. Option: hoist linked items, y or n?

If yes, child pane replaces the page pane until a particular item is selected.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: