Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Another learning tool-

Don't overlook 'working through' the sample databases.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Huh?

Ah, $bill, what on earth are you talking about?

Forum Posting Rule # 1: always be clear, concise, and precise.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
Ah, $bill, what on earth are you talking about?

Forum Posting Rule # 1: always be clear, concise, and precise.
Perhaps you mean- $bill, what sample databases were you referring to?

From the help file-

Several sample Info Databases are provided to demonstrate the features and advantages of Ultra Recall. The samples are located in the Samples subfolder of the Ultra Recall installation path.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Sigh!

No, $bill, I didn't mean that. How about trying to put yourself in your reader's shoes and post something simple like this?

"For additional help in learning how to use UR, check out the seven sample databases at (typically)

C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\Samples. If you are using Vista, go to Start / then Computer / then blah-blah-blah."

By the way, I don't think these samples databases are of much value. What we need -- and here's where Kinook's new contest may prove to be a big help -- is something simple and step-by-step, along these lines:

"Do you want to link or store webpages from the Internet into your UR database? Well, first, blah, blah, blah. Then, blah ... Finally, blah, ..."

The rule of thumb is to keep everything as simple, concise, and precise as possible. As I said, put yourself in the reader's shoes. Don't assume he or she knows what you know. All this seems ridiculously obvious, but apparently it's a lesson many people who write software manuals fail to learn. Cognitive learning style differences, most likely.

I recently bought a new Canon digital camera, and its manual is magnifico.

Well, I'd better start putting my money where my big mouth is, but Kinook's contest deadline (late August) doesn't give us much time.

Last edited by tfjern; 07-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:43 AM

Re: Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
Perhaps you mean- $bill, what sample databases were you referring to?

From the help file-

Several sample Info Databases are provided to demonstrate the features and advantages of Ultra Recall. The samples are located in the Samples subfolder of the Ultra Recall installation path.
Thanks $bill, I found your suggestion very helpful.

In fact, look what I found by following your advice!

Quote:
Several sample Info Databases are provided to demonstrate the features and advantages of Ultra Recall. The samples are located in the Samples subfolder of the Ultra Recall installation path (typically C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\Samples) and are also accessible from the Start Menu at Programs -> Ultra Recall -> Samples.
The very first paragraph provides (2) valuable bits of information,

- it tells me the location of the Sample Databases, I'll need to know this for the File | Open Dialog.

- and it tells me of an alternate method, which is useful if I haven't launched UR yet. Also, this information was provided in a clear and concise step-by-step manner that I found easy to follow.

But wait, there's more!!
Quote:
Note: The sample databases are read-only. To modify a sample database or use it as a template for your own use, click File | Save As on the menu to save the database in your personal folder. The saved copy can be modified as desired.
Boy, I'm glad they provided this additional information because I want to be able to work in the sample databases, not just read them. Also, this tells me that if I screw something up I can always go back to the original database.

I'm anxious to get started in this program and "working through" these samples should be a good education. Also, I think I'll spend some time reviewing the Help File, espeically after I look over the samples - it may reinforce some of the concepts presented.

I must say that there is also a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and there's a couple of topics I'd like to explore before getting back to UR.

Again, thank you for your time and direction.

EDIT: This is an example of civil discourse.
Attached Images

Last edited by ashwken; 07-10-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $bill View Post
Another learning tool-

Don't overlook 'working through' the sample databases.
In reality, how are new users going to 'work through' the sample databases?
It would be great if those who are familiar with the sample databases made a video for each one, showing their use.

"For this video, open sample database xxx and I'll show you what is special about it!"

Thanks,
Mark.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: