Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Dragging items Long Distances

Dear All,

I have a problem - I'm often finding myself having to drag things a long way down the data explorer list.

In windows, if I need to move something a long way, I just open another explorer window, scroll that one down and then drag the item between the windows.

Is there any way to do this with UR? I've tried dragging an item onto a tab, hoping that it would switch to that tab (which I had previously positioned in the right place) but this doesn't work.

Being able to bring up a mini-data explorer would be really useful and save a lot of time.

Daniel
Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Use the Link/Move/Copy Dialog
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/linkdialog.htm

Or copy/cut in one tab, switch tabs, and paste.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:10 AM

thanks for the swift reply!

Tried the link/move/copy dialog but still fairly long winded.

The copy/paste thing would work if you could paste as a link (this is actually mostly what i do).

Still I think being able to drag and hit ctrl+tab (to switch tabs) and paste/link into the second tab would be useful.

Just thought of another really convenient feature - if you could do a search and then right-click-drag from the data explorer into a search result and paste/link directly into the search result that would be pretty awsome.

Then instead of searching for the destination manually you can actually use the excellent SEARCH facility =)

Sorry this has become more of a 'feature request' thread!

Daniel
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by danson
The copy/paste thing would work if you could paste as a link (this is actually mostly what i do).
Copy/paste within the UR tree *does* create a logical link by default (except when pasting to a location that linking isn't allowed [for instance, onto an item's parent]). Use Ctrl+Shift+V to force paste a copy instead of link.

Quote:
Still I think being able to drag and hit ctrl+tab (to switch tabs) and paste/link into the second tab would be useful.
We'll consider that.

Quote:
Just thought of another really convenient feature - if you could do a search and then right-click-drag from the data explorer into a search result and paste/link directly into the search result that would be pretty awsome.

Then instead of searching for the destination manually you can actually use the excellent SEARCH facility =)
So you mean dropping onto a search result would link the dragged items to the item being dropped on? That is not a bad idea (it would be a different behavior than drag/drop into that pane when showing child items [which links to the parent], but could be useful). For now, you could copy, search, double-click the search result, and then paste.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Copy/paste within the UR tree *does* create a logical link by default (except when pasting to a location that linking isn't allowed [for instance, onto an item's parent]). Use Ctrl+Shift+V to force paste a copy instead of link.

We'll consider that.

excellent =)

Quote:
So you mean dropping onto a search result would link the dragged items to the item being dropped on? That is not a bad idea (it would be a different behavior than drag/drop into that pane when showing child items [which links to the parent], but could be useful). For now, you could copy, search, double-click the search result, and then paste.
As in you can right click and drag to a search item result. It would then tell you if you want to move, copy, link etc so that it becomes linked as a child of that item.

I suppose you could have it so that linking as a sibling of that item is an option (eg if you held down shift as well).

Your final suggestion above, however, works well for now. Thank you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: