Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 AM

GUID URL change in exchange folders

Has anyone experienced problems with GUID's changing in when moving emails between Exchange folders?

I am using the Teamscopes Linker application, everything works fine if I move messages between Personal folders, but as soon as I move the messages between Exchange folders then try to use the link generated by the linker application Outlook crashes.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Unfortunately this is an issue when Outlook is in Exchange Server mode, GUID's (specifically the mostly otherwise immutable PR_ENTRYID guid) changes when objects are moved in the exchange store (this only seems to happen when the data is in Exchange, not in a .pst file).

We have spent considerable time investigating potential solutions to this issue, but there doesn't appear to be a direct method to workaround this very inconsistent, problematic behavior (of Outlook + Exchange).

I would recommend either:
1) moving the items to the permanent location in Outlook before you link then in Ultra Recall
2) storing your Outlook objects in Ultra Recall - then you can permanently delete them in Outlook, move them to an alternate (linked) Outlook folder and re-sync them, which should recreate them in the desired Outlook folder while maintaining a valid link in UR.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:00 AM

Thanks kevina

I appreciate all your effort, what I am going to do is keep the emails stored in the Exchange folders but also copy them to UR as I will only be doing this for certain emails I think the additional overhead should not be a problem.

This will enable me to still track my important emails in UR but still have access to them from exchange's webmail interface while I am out of the office and also our IT policy dictates that emails have to be stored within exchange so that they are backed up.

I have been doing this for the past few days and seems to be working well, it is much easier to organise emails in UR as a single email can be accessed from several places (Customer-->Communication-->Emails-->Email1)(Project-->Communication-->Email1) one email linked from multiple places.

Thanks for a great product and keep up the good work :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: