Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 AM

Question Starting a program by executing its file

On my system I have some files created by a program. Internally they are XML files but they do not have the extension .XML instead they have the extension .scrivx

In windows the .scrivx extension is associated with the program Scrivener.

When I double click this file in windows explorer then it opens the program associated with this extension (Scrivener), the file specifies a particular project to open and that project is opened in Scrivener.

What I want to be able to do is to launch a particular Scrivener project from within Ultra Recall.

If I create a link to a .scrivx file in Ultra Recall and click on the link the file is opened in the editor pane as an XML file and its contents displayed. If I drag the .scrivx file to the tree and click on this tree item then it is opened in the editor pane as an XML file. If I construct a hypertext like to the Scrivener executable with the .scrivx file as a parameter then Scrivener opens with the last project it had open.

How can I get Ultra Recall to treat .scrivx files in the same way as windows explorer?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Administrator

To prevent display of the XML content of .scrivx files in UR, add .scrivx to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally.

After importing (linking) a .scrivx file into the tree (via copy/paste, drag/drop, File | Import, etc.), double-click on the imported item, or select the item and choose Item | Open Document on the menu, or press Ctrl+J, or click the Click here to open document link (displayed in the detail pane when selecting an item after adding .scrivx as described above) to open externally in Scrivener.

Alternatively, you can create a link to the file within a text item -- Format | Insert Hyperlink, enter a name, and browse to the .scrivx file in the second field. Click OK, then click on the link to open that file in Scrivener.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Thank you, that works.

I now have a page within Ultra Recall which is an index of all my Scrivener writing projects, including the blog.

There is a blog post which may interest you here.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Nice review, thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM

No need for thanks, the review was objective and unbiased as far as it could be.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:53 AM

Review

In your review you mentioned that you can change the color schema, were is that done at? Also you mentioned that you can open multiple databases in one view, how is that done? Or did I miss understand something?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: