Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Suggestions

Old 03-29-2019, 07:13 AM

VisBuildCmd should honor no output flag

I have a secondary build file that has steps where the output from commands are suppressed; when called from my main build file using the mode setting "console app (visbuildcmd.exe), any CMD.exe line steps ignore the "read program output from" set to "none". In other words, my main build script gets all of the output that should have been suppressed in the secondary child script. It looks like visbuildcmd.exe is ignoring this setting and just directly piping all standard output right back to the main program.

This has the effect of both slowing down the build process horribly and cluttering the output window to where important information scrolls off.

I don't want to suppress everything (which I could by clearing the main "Capture output" flag), but that is my current work around.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Interesting, I believe it has always worked this way -- it's actually due to the fact that the CreateProcess API writes its output to the current console window if STARTF_USESTDHANDLES is not specified in STARTUPINFO. In v10, the handle is specified with output none to allow this.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Administrator

This had an unintended side effect of suppressing output and prompts (for instance, with a pause statement in a batch file). In the latest release, you'll need to set

Application.Options.AlwaysCaptureConsoleOutput = True

in a Run Script step so that the handle is specified with output none.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: