Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Search Tab Executes Search Every Time It Gets Focus

Hi Kinook,
Some of my searches take about 15 secs to run which is fine for me given how narrow my search is. When I switch tabs and come back to the search one, UR executes the search again. Is there a way to have UR cache search results so that I can see the results when I go back to the tab, yet without having to wait for a full search again.

Thank you.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM

workaround, you could ctrl+a in the search results pane and link wherever you wanted (say some temp dir) ...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator

By design, the search results are not cached and the search is run again when switching to a search tab, to avoid displaying stale information. That does seem like an abnormally slow search -- if you can provide more details on what you're searching for (ZIP and send details and a sample DB to support@kinook.com), we might be able to suggest ways to speed it up (and how large is your database?).
Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM

- I timed it 3 times today and it listed results in 15-17 secs.
- DB size is 35MB
- Search is set to search everything including item text.
- I really have no issue with it taking this long. I consider this acceptable given what I'm searching for.
- If my search lists, for example, 10 items now I do not mind having UR cache the list so I can switch back and forth without being penalized with search overhead. This list is really never stale unless I add or modify content which is not the case while am working on any particular subject. I think this should be the default. If search result staleness is a concern for me, I can simply refresh it just like browsers or even some of the find tools I use for windows explorer. This should really resolve the issue, I think.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Kinook,
Can you please verify this behavior in UR. If I search for this whole phrase "kinook support guide" it takes about 15 secs. But if I search for kinook support guide (without quotes) it is instantaneous.

Is there any way to make a whole string search as fast as searching for individual words.

Thank you
Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cnewtonne
Kinook,
Can you please verify this behavior in UR. If I search for this whole phrase "kinook support guide" it takes about 15 secs. But if I search for kinook support guide (without quotes) it is instantaneous.

Is there any way to make a whole string search as fast as searching for individual words.

Thank you
of course, one uses indexed search, the one with quotes looks for exact phrase, no wonder you're getting 15 seconds searches ... check out help file on "phrase search"