Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Well, then let us not reduce the speed limit (at least for this, cars are a different thing.)

Don
Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 AM

The lack of this facility (highlighting search terms) is the main reason that I continue to use programs such as askSam. For long documents, or documents containing a great deal of text, it is so much easier to have the search term highlighted, and I do not see why searching should be a two-stage operation.

Regards, Geoffrey
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Resurgam
I do not see why searching should be a two-stage operation.
I think it's not so straightforward with UR, because unlike most of the other PIMs, UR has item notes and item attributes, so I think there is a problem of how to display the results ... this is the price we pay for great database features that UR offers
Old 08-09-2008, 09:48 AM

I wasn't seeking to deride UR, which I have been using since version 1 and which in virtually all other respects is close to being a perfect information manager. But this particular lack of functionality has been a constant niggle. Even the facility to highlight search terms in the main body (rather than item notes or attributes) would be a great step forward.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 AM

I agree. Notes and attributes are nice, but the main text box is the meat of the program, where a great deal of work is done, and where I want to do 90+% of my searching.
Lack of highlighting is a significant drawback to UR.

Don
Old 08-09-2008, 02:16 PM

I asked for it in

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&highlight=eno

It would be good to have highlighting without using another program to do it (Handyfind)
Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Obvious

Why in heaven's name is this issue even being debated? Of course the hits found in searches should be highlighted. Kinook knows this, and I'm sure will include it in future upgrades as soon as their programmers work out the kinks.

One reason I abandoned AskSam 6.0 was this: it highlighted the hits, but it only gave the number of hits per document, and not overall (why not both?).

Future upgrades of UR should include 1) highlighting of hits (that can be toggled off and on, of course), and 2) numbering of total hits per database.

Also, and this has been discussed before in other threads, but is worth repeating here: global searching across databases. This is another obviously useful feature, though some members of this forum, inveterate contrarians it seems, will feel obliged to disagree.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 AM

Re: Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
One reason I abandoned AskSam 6.0 was this: it highlighted the hits, but it only gave the number of hits per document, and not overall (why not both?).
We badly need the number of hits per item, which could be the least primitive indicator of "relevance", if we are able to sort by this. I asked for this few times in one thread, but nobody here seemed to be interested. This was to my big surprise, and also reason why I use external program for searching and only link files to UR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: