Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 PM

Clipboard weirdness with bitmaps

I just started evaluating Ultra Recall and I like it a lot. I've been disecting the entire gamut of content organizers and can't seem to find one that does everything I want, but Ultra Recall comes real close. Nice product.

One thing I'm missing is bitmap clip capture. So I installed Snagit 8 and tried a few region captures to the clipboard in Firefox followed by a paste as new item in UR. No deal. The option to paste a new object is grayed out. However, if I put the focus in the UR Item Details pane I can paste the bitmap there. Huh? Why does UR not recognize the bitmap clipboard contents for a new object?

If I save the capture to a file in Snagit rather than the clipboard, I can then import the file as a UR item just fine. But this is a royal pain in the butt.

BTW. To do the clip capture, I created a new XML entry for Launchy in Firefox that does an /importclip command. This works for HTML selections on the clipboard as well. You just have to do the extra Copy Ctrl-C step before the Launchy step :-(

Here's the XML.

<application>
<label>Ultra Recall (Clip)</label>
<type>1</type>
<command>%ProgramFiles%\UltraRecall\UltraRecall.ex e</command>
<arguments>/importclip</arguments>
</application>

Maynard
Old 05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Paste of a bitmap from the clipbard as a new UR item is a format we haven't gotten around to supporting yet, but we'll add it to the list. Although, since the RTF editor does support pasting bitmaps, and you would typically rename the new item anyway, the following method would be about as fast as paste in tree, select, rename:
1) Press Insert in tree to create a new item (or Alt+Insert | Text if Text is not the Default Child Template for the current node).
2) Type the name of the item.
3) Press Tab, then Ctrl+V to paste the bitmap from the clipboard.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 PM

Hey kinook. thanks for the quick reply. that'll work for now.

I take back what I said about using /importclip in a Launchy XML macro. It doesn't work. Firefox passes the current URL to the Launchy app so the command line actually becomes "Ultrarecall.exe /importclip <URL from Firefox>". UR doesn't like the additional argument and so punts, doing nothing.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

UR expects that argument to be a valid .urd filename, if it's not and it fails to open it, it doesn't continue with any additional processing. One alternative would be to use UR's global import clipboard hotkey (Tools | Options | Import | Import clipboard contents hotkey): Ctrl+C, then Win+V within Firefox.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: