Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 11-15-2005, 03:40 PM

Exclamation 5.7-->6.0 problem; build step skipping not applying to children

Greetings!

I just installed 6.0 side-by-side with 5.7, however my build rules are no longer applying to my child steps.
Basically, I do a version compare in my build rule, where I only build the child steps if the following evaluates to true:

[CStr(%CMD_RELEASEVERSION%) >= CStr(4.01)]

%CMD_RELEASEVERSION% was passed in as "3.04", and VBuild 6.0 is correctly evaluating that and "Skips" the step, but then proceeds right into the child step and builds it.

I have confirmed that, like in my 5.7 environment, I have:

1) VBScript set as my default scripting language
2) the 'Implement nesting of conditional build rules' application option checked.
3) the 'Re-evaluate all conditional build rules for each step' application option checked.

Is there something I need to enable/disable in 6.0 to get my proper skipping functionality back?

Thanks,

--jdavidi
Old 11-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

I'm not able to reproduce this behavior. Does the attached project skip both steps for you? If so, please post a .bld sample that demonstrates the issue you are seeing. If not, please ZIP and post or send your Tools | Application Options | File Locations | Application Options file to support@kinook.com.

Just in case this applies, keep in mind that build rules are not evaluated for Rebuild Selected (not new in v6 though):
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=927
Attached Files
File Type: bld rule.bld (479 Bytes, 1068 views)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:27 AM

Hello again,
Sorry for the delay in response from my end. I downloaded Rule.bld, and similar to my other project, "Project steps" is Skipped, and "child" is Completed. This happens with the first build, on a Rebuild, and when I Step line by line.

I'm attaching my build script that I first saw this happen with. The build script usually receives a large set of temporary macros, but to reproduce my issue you need only provide "3.04" (minus the quotes) as the value for %CMD_RELEASEVERSION%.

The "Register eFrameClient" step at the top of the file will skip, but its child step, the "Register eFrameClient" project subroutine is kicked off and goes to complete each step rather than skip over it. I will follow up this posting and send my Application Options file directly to the support email address above.

Thanks!

--jdavidi
Attached Files
File Type: bld standard_c++_component.bld (20.9 KB, 1048 views)
Old 11-18-2005, 08:04 AM

Question

I belive I have solved my problem--I unchecked the Application Options | General | 'Re-evaluate all build rules for each step' checkbox and now I have my desired skipping functionality back in 6.0 (I sucessfully skipped in both my original build script I posted about, as well as Rule.bld above). To confirm my sanity , I just checked my 5.7 Application options again and the 'Re-evaluate all build rules for each step' is indeed checked there.

Was I incorrectly using some functionality in 5.7, or has this functionality changed with 6.0?

I'll continue experimenting with my other build scripts and see what shakes out.

-jdavidi
Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Administrator

There was in fact a bug in v6 with that particular combination of settings. A fix is available and can be downloaded from
http://www.kinook.com/Download/VisBuildProEval.exe
Old 11-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Smile

Thank you very much for the quick response and fix. I'm back in business, can't wait to toy with the new 6.0 features!

--jdavidi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: