Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Documents imported (linked) outside of the UR path will be stored with the full drive+path+filename in the URL, which will also be exported to the XML/HTML file.
OK, so if your Linked Content resides outside the UR data path, then the resulting xml/html is going to have an absolute path to this content.

Isn't this going to create a problem if you are using export2.zip to create distributable html?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Yes, unless the user extracts all the linked files to identical paths.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 AM

OK, is it possible for the UR Export to xml to do this?

The UR Export to xml is already doing this with Stored Content - creating a subfolder (export_StoredContent) where this content is placed and writing the xml to contain relative references to this location for this material.

Otherwise, the user needs to have the foresight to build a subfolder structure for Linked Content below the UR data Folder prior to using the UR Export to xml and export2.zip. This will work for individual files, but how is linked email from Outlook handled?

Is export2.zip a stop-gap measure, do you have something in the works to reslove this?

I'm just trying to understand how to work within the program.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Export was really only intended for exporting data stored within the .urd file. There are lots of external items that UR can link to, and to generically "export" any of these external sources to somewhere else would not be trivial.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Export was really only intended for exporting data stored within the .urd file. There are lots of external items that UR can link to, and to generically "export" any of these external sources to somewhere else would not be trivial.
Fair enough. But the purpose of most of my data gathering is for later searching by subject & distributing to others. That information could be a combination of many forms so I have to gather it in such a way as to make it accessible for distribution via HTML or RTF.

Maybe the problem is my understanding of how URp really works. So let's see:

1. I can copy & paste from any source. That data is stored in UR
2. I can open in URp (Link) but the data stays where it is but will be viewed in URp
3. I can open in URp (copy) & the data is transferred into URp
4. I can D/D to explorer, results in #2
5. I can import, i.e. link & view data inside URp browser like #2 & 4
6. I can D/D onto item text to create a link.

-----
I assume that #1 & #3 & #6 is easily ported to html via export.
I assume #3 (DOC & MSG & PDF files) is what export2 is all about
I assume #4 is not possible to export unless it is also in the #6 form, i.e. URL appears in item text.

If I have this right & the export2 situation 'improves' then I would be able to gather all types of data in a search & export2 it to an html file.

The only thing missing piece would be #4 and that could be taken care of by providing user w an option to copy URL directly to item text as well as explorer or give user the option of renaming explorer item & transferring URL & date and a user note to item text. I have found this latter option to be the most useful.

Do I have this about right? If not, where am I going wrong?

And when might there be a more elegant solution to this expport2 thing?

Thank you.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
OK, I can accept that - I guess linked Outlook items and linked executables (??? I'm trying to think of what all UR can link to besides just data files) are some of these external sources.

But on the other hand, you are some really smart guys and hopefully you're working on something that we can use.

Later,
KenA
Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 PM

Jan,

It would seem that the best course would be to create a subfolder structure below the UR data folder for Linked Content. Not sure how best to organize this structure to meet your needs, maybe a topical structure, or a structure that mimics your folder structure within UR.

In your earlier post you mentioned that you link to a lot of email in Outlook, you may want to consider storing this email instead.

What we've learned is that you need to export to the UR data folder. The UR data folder will also need to contain the files from export2.zip. Linked Content will need to reside in a subfolder structure below your UR data folder.

Later,
KenA
Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
[snip] What we've learned is that you need to export to the UR data folder. The UR data folder will also need to contain the files from export2.zip. Linked Content will need to reside in a subfolder structure below your UR data folder.[/snip]
Ken, I thought I followed instructions.

Attached is a zipped bmp to demo my directory structure.

The result of this is that all rtf or doc files are only available outside the browser, i.e. open/save.

The TOC has links but doesn't display those file types in the right frame. Only stored txt type files are displayed in the RF.

You're a patient person.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4_ken.zip (25.5 KB, 1039 views)
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif

The result of this is that all rtf or doc files are only available outside the browser, i.e. open/save.

The TOC has links but doesn't display those file types in the right frame. Only stored txt type files are displayed in the RF.
This may be a browser issue, what browser are you using?

From your browser can you File | Open .rtf or Word .doc files, how do they display?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
This may be a browser issue, what browser are you using?

From your browser can you File | Open .rtf or Word .doc files, how do they display?
browser=IE6 or URp default browser
rtf, txt, pdf files open in UR browser
doc files only open externally

In directions offered by Kinook, it refers to file types | advanced | option open in same window is checked. I cannot do this on my system as it is greyed out. That may be the problem but I don't know how to fix it. See attached zip

I suppose I could re-install Word, a real PITA but -- of course -- I'm willing if that's the solution.

Edited abut an hour later: I removed ;.doc from Tools | Options | Browser | file extensions to display inside browser & now I see unformatted text. <CTRL>+J opens "Word" for external editing. Go figure.

I wonder if this is connected to the greyed out open in same window option if file types
Attached Files
File Type: zip file_type_screen_dump.zip (4.3 KB, 1003 views)

Last edited by janrif; 04-28-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Jan,

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

On a machine that is running UR v.3.04, IE6, and MS Office 2000 SP-3, from the UR generated html both .rtf and Word .doc files are being shown in the RH-Pane.

The .rtf is generated from UR Items that have text content in the Detail Pane. This .rtf is showing in the RH-Pane of the html, but I suspect that IE is working in conjunction with Word to display this content since the RH-Pane display is showing a Word ruler at the top, a Word scroll bar to the RH-side, and a Word bar at the bottom.

The same is true when displaying a Word.doc file.

I don't know how to explain why this happening, or why it wouldn't happen. Also, I have no idea what would be displayed if this material were to be posted to the web, then viewed by a user who did not have Word (or a Word viewer ???) installed.

Later,
KenA
Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
On a machine that is running UR v.3.04, IE6, and MS Office 2000 SP-3, from the UR generated html both .rtf and Word .doc files are being shown in the RH-Pane. [snip]I don't know how to explain why this happening, or why it wouldn't happen. Also, I have no idea what would be displayed if this material were to be posted to the web, then viewed by a user who did not have Word (or a Word viewer ???) installed.
Ken, 2 things of note. I am on a w2k-sp4 machine & I don't have outlook; rather I have a Word (2002) standalone. I believe this may have been before there was such tight integration between the MS products.

If you are seeing the actual 'word' screen within URp then I can categorically say I have never seen that. The best I've been able to accomplish is seeing non-formatted '.doc ' documents in URp while the '.rtf' documents are formatted so it looks like wherever the 'Word' viewer comes from (Outlook?) is missing on my system.

This may also be connected to that advanced option that I can't seem to access.

As for the html export....well, that remains a mystery. In any case, thanks for all your time & help.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Jan,

My response was referring to the display of .rtf and .doc in the UR generated html (resuting from export2.zip).

Although I think that the export2.zip may be useful for generating distrbutable html, there are a number of limitations to this process, due to wide range of files that can be Linked into UR, that may not make this process viable for all users.

Later,
KenA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: