Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:02 AM

Unhappy SMTP issues in 5.6a

I have upgraded my build machine to 5.6a and am still having problems sending a very simple SMTP message. I have set up an SMTP server locally on the build machine and configured the smart host. All I need it to do is send the message locally, not authentication is required and I am using default ports. I continually get "Unspecified Error".

Regards,

Oliver.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:41 PM

I have the same problem

I am encountering the same problem with 5.6a. In the log file it would state:
Connecting to SMTP server 'smtp.mymailserver.com' on port 25
Unspecified error

(Our smtp mail server requires no authentication)

If I keep trying, then it would be successful and the email is sent. Once it's successfull, it does not seem to fail again.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Please post (or send to support@kinook.com) the log file when building this step (after setting Logging to All+hex dump) and the .bld file with the Send Mail step that is failing. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:35 PM

I already have "All + Hex dump" set in the logging and the only logging that I get is the "Unspecified error message".

I have also set the timeout to 300 seconds because I thought the server might be timing out.

None of these work. As, I mentioned in my previous post, once it starts working it seems to work for a while before failing again.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:25 AM

Log and Bld file

Attached is the bld file that I am using and the associated log file after seeing a failure.
Attached Files
File Type: zip smtp.zip (12.2 KB, 1191 views)
Old 12-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Thanks. Please post the log again after adding the following code to the Send Mail step's vbld_StepStarted script event (by double-clicking on the step, clicking Script Editor, switching to the Step tab, clicking Events, and choosing vbld_StepStarted):

Builder.LogMessage "Message Body:"
Builder.LogMessage Step.ExpProperty(Builder, "Message")

The code assumes VBScript is your default script engine (Tools | Application Options | General | Default script language); put parenthesis around the LogMessage parameters for JScript.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:48 AM

Valid sender

I changed the "From" address to be a valid e-mail account and it started working. Previously it was working with any old text in there. I'll see how that goes.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Administrator

We were able to reproduce this behavior with the help of another customer (the problem has to do with the contents/size of the message body). Downloading http://www.kinook.com/Download/VisBuildNet.zip and extracting to your VisBuildPro install path should fix the problem.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:34 PM

We got the zip file, and installed it into the Visual Build Pro directory, then just to make sure we registered it with regsvr32.exe. But we are still running into the size problem. If anyone has success please post, or if there might be another work around that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Administrator

That fix turned out to be only a partial fix. The main download includes a patch from our networking component vendor which should resolve any remaining issues.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:32 AM

Yea, that .exe worked great for us. Thanks a lot for the great responses on tech support!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: