Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 PM

How to Change Default Database in Vista?

I run UR on a Windows XP Pro machine and a Vista Ultimate notebook.

On the Windows XP Pro desktop computer, UR starts w/ Windows and always starts with the last database that was open. However on the Vista notebook, UR always opens with the first database I created after installation; never with the last open database.

Anyone have any idea why the behavior is different between XP and Vista? And what is the best way to assure that UR opens with the last database used? Help file says to create a shortcut to the database in the Startup folder, but I am wondering if there is a way to do this from within the UR Options.

Also one other database question (one for which I will probably not like the answer!):

Is there a halfway reasonable way to use the same database on my desktop and notebook computers? Or, if not, to synchronize the data from each? Hopefully without going through an export/import sequence each time - that's not a reasonable method IMO.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-04-2008, 06:49 AM

Options | General | Reload selection and tabs from last database session.

Options | General | Startup | Run Ultra Recall when Windows starts
Old 10-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Re: How to Change Default Database in Vista?

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
Is there a halfway reasonable way to use the same database on my desktop and notebook computers? Or, if not, to synchronize the data from each? Hopefully without going through an export/import sequence each time - that's not a reasonable method IMO.
If both computers are on the same network, put the .urd file on a shared network path and access from both computers.
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...odatabases.htm

Other options are to keep the .urd file on a portable USB drive and take between the computers, or sync the database file between computers. This thread shows one method http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=1445, or you could use an online service like http://getdropbox.com.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:41 AM

Re: How to Change Default Database in Vista?

Quote:
Is there a halfway reasonable way to use the same database on my desktop and notebook computers?

I am pretty good with ritual...my notebook is connected to the LAN with my desktop. Just before I unplug the notebook from my LAN, I click an icon on my desktop (SyncbackSE) which synchronizes my files between the 2 computers. I repeat the ritual when I plug in the notebook to the LAN.

SyncToy from Microsoft would be another way to manually sync the database files.

For an automated approach you could consider using "offline files", a solution provided by Microsoft -detailed in the Vista help file.

Leading edge solutions (perhaps bleeding edge)-

Sync across the internet connection automatically:
From Microsoft-

* Live Mesh ("technical preview")
* Windows Live FolderShare Beta

Here is an overview-
http://snipurl.com/42j8f
Old 10-04-2008, 12:49 PM

@$Bill:

I'll have to check again when I am on my notebook, but I am pretty sure that I have those selected on there, but still get the original database opened when UR is started.

@kinook:

Both computers are on my home network, but often times UR may be open on both, even though I am not using both at the same time. E.g., if I am working in my home office on my desktop computer and have to go downstairs for dinner or something, I usually leave the desktop computer on - and UR starts with Windows on that box.

Then once downstairs, if I don't feel up to climbing the stairs again right away (I'm disabled and stairs are a real task at times), I'll stay downstairs for awhile - maybe till bedtime. If I need something online or on my network I'll crack open the notebook. If UR is already open upstairs on my desktop PC using my main database, then I don't know if I can also open that database on my notebook. I do know that I can do that with OneNote 2007 - it has auto-synchromizing capability. Same with Evernote 3 - I can access my Evernote database form several computers at once if I want, since that database is online and allows for multiple simultaneous access.

Doesn't sound like I can do this with Ultra Recall though. I would have to make sure to close the database on one computer before using it on another - or is that not correct?

If it is, then it would be much better if it had sync capability.

@$Bill: I use Super Flexible File Synchronizer for synching files/folders, so I could do it with that, I guess. I just feel that if I am not uber-careful regarding when I copy one to the other, I could easily overwrite data since I don't believe that UR is capable of synching its databases - only overwriting. Again, if I am wrong there, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-04-2008, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: How to Change Default Database in Vista?

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
...For an automated approach you could consider using "offline files", a solution provided by Microsoft -detailed in the Vista help file.
My notebook runs Vista Ultimate but I wasn't aware of this - I will look it up, though. Thanks for this tip!

Quote:
Leading edge solutions (perhaps bleeding edge)-

Sync across the internet connection automatically:
From Microsoft-

Here is an overview-
I looked very briefly at Live Mesh when it was first announced but haven't tried it. I think I will take a harder look and see if it offers me anything useful.

Thanks again!

Jim
Old 10-04-2008, 01:53 PM

For Upstairs/Downstairs:

In UR pro

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...odatabases.htm

"Ultra Recall allows multiple users to open the same Info Database (located on a network share or shared folder) simultaneously for editing." Record locking may perhaps get you (or save you) with your usage scenario.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Thanks $bill. I hadn't seen that in the onboard UR Help file - though it IS there. (Not trying to be negative, but I find it very difficult to find all info I need in the Help file unless I know exactly where to look, or what exactly to search for.)

I'll definitely give that a hard look and try.

BTW, my settings on the notebook are exactly as you stated in your first post here, but the old original database was what appeared when I fired it up this afternoon. THe Help file indicates that the Options you mentioned only shows the same tabs, etc, when you reopen that database. It's trying to get a specific database to open when UR starts that is the problem here.

The Help file says, ...

"Reload of recently opened databases: When exiting Ultra Recall via File | Exit on the menu, Ultra Recall remembers the currently open Info Databases and reopens them when Ultra Recall is restarted. Also, any Info Databases in the same path as the program executable will also be opened. Automatic reopening of databases can be disabled by holding down the Shift key when starting Ultra Recall. To specify a custom list of databases to open at startup, create shortcuts to the .urd files to open in the Startup folder of the Window Start menu."

...but it also says in there somewhere that in order for it to work you must exit UR by clicking on File>Exit. I don’t do that. Since UR is always open in the system tray (or notification area of the taskbar, in case you're a Microsoft-speak policeman!), it just closes when the system is shutting down. I'm not sure what command the Windows shutdown sequence sends to force applications to close at shutdown. It doesn't use a "kill" command; probably either a "terminate" or "close" command from the system. I guess that doesn’t "save" the "which database to open" info that UR uses to remember. Which is odd because most other applications know where you were when they restart without using File>Exit. Some do it using the Windows prefetch folder.

Maybe kinook can shed some light on that.

Thanks again for your help, $bill!

Jim
Old 10-05-2008, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: How to Change Default Database in Vista?

Quote:
[snip] Sync across the internet connection automatically:
From Microsoft-

Here is an overview-
[/snip]
$Bill I read this article but I'm not tech savy enough to truly understand it. Does Live Mesh mean to say that if:

(1) pc #1 is on line, signed into 'Live Mesh' and
(2) pc #2 checks into 'Live Mesh' from some remote spot that both computers will automatically sync?

Is this a matter of uploading certain files to Live Mesh or is it directly computer to computer, using Live Mesh as the connector, so to speak?

TIA
Old 10-05-2008, 08:23 PM

I just signed up for Mesh - I already had a Live ID. Giving it a try - looks pretty cool!

janrif: You sign up for Mesh, add "devices" - computers or mobile devices, create sync folders, and then upload any files that you want to be synced on all your devices. When you log in after that all is automatically synced.

Just make sure you have GOOD backups - standard for any pre-release applications.

Jim
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: How to Change Default Database in Vista?

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Does Live Mesh mean to say that if:
(1) pc #1 is on line, signed into 'Live Mesh' and
(2) pc #2 checks into 'Live Mesh' from some remote spot that both computers will automatically sync?
TIA
Yes, you got it.
Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Is this a matter of uploading certain files to Live Mesh or is it directly computer to computer, using Live Mesh as the connector, so to speak?TIA
Both...that is you are given a limited space in the cloud (the Live Desktop and 5GB, I think) which you CAN use to store the files that are synchronized but you also have the option to just use Live Mesh to manage the peer to peer connection with nothing stored in the Live Desktop.

I find this development interesting not because I trust it with my valuable stuff today. But I often want access to my UR databases everywhere. This platform seems like the next step for me and perhaps the Mesh Development Platform will play a role in a future version of UR. http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/BB05/
Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Well, I am now using Live Mesh to sync my main UR database, and that is working well. I do have my notebook synchronized with the Live Mesh Desktop but I amkeeping very little in the Mesh, and I am not auto-synching my desktop computer with it. Instead I manually download and use that database and then uploading it again before leaving the desktop PC. Also, I'm exporting the database at least daily - more if I make any significant changes to the structure of it.

Unfortunately, the problem I initially posted about here is still plaguing me: When UR autostarts with Windows on the notebook (Vista Ultimate), the original first database I created on the notebook is opened. There does NOT appear to be a way to get any other database to open with UR by default - which is kind of crazy.

I did notice that there may be some confusion within UR on Vista as to where databases are stored. In Windows XP my UR databases are stored in the My Documents>My Ultra Recall Databases directory - and UltraRecall knows to look there first. In Vista I also keep my UR databases in the Documents>My Ultra Recall Databases directory. That is where all of the databases I have created and used are. EXCEPT... the original database is stored in the Documents directory - not in the My Ultra Recall Databases subdirectory. And apparently the Documents directory is the only place that UR is looking for a database to open.

Now I don’t wish to store any UR databases in the Documents directory. That would be like storing them all in the My Documents directory in XP. Kind of messy to dump all documents in My Documents without any subdirectory structure. I need a little more order than that!

I moved the current "default" database that keeps opening into the My Ultra Recall Databases subdirectory with the rest of them. I'll post back the next time I fire up the notebook and let you all know what happens.

Jim
Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Jim...
My usual way of using UR is NOT to autostart UR with windows start. I click on a shortcut in the Quick start toolbar which opens the GTD database at My@NextActions (ur://D:/DataStore/UltraRecall/GTD.urd?item=2581).
So I did a test for you...

This works-
Goal to get Vista to autostart UR on login and open the last used database.

X in both:
Options | General | Reload selection and tabs from last database session.
Options | General | Startup | Run Ultra Recall when Windows starts

With an open UR database from a "non standard" place (D:\Datastore\) - I clicked the X to close UR and then logged off. When I logged in..UR opened to the correct last used database.

I closed the 1st database and opened another one in a different folder. Closed/logged off on on....and the correct last used database opened.

This didn't work:

Same but did NOT close UR- I just logged off with UR still running.

Seems that your earlier observation that UR does not save the state of the last file until UR is closed by the user is correct and is the source of your problem.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM

I suspected as much when I posted that as it is the only item I found in the Help documentation that mentions it at all.

Not a very good behavior IMO though. Maybe Kinook can fix that and make it work another way, like user designation of a "default" database.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
make it work another way, like user designation of a "default" database.
I'm confused....Do you want to logon and autostart UR with the same "default" database each time?

You could create a shortcut in the windows startup folder using the command line options -- Target = "C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\UltraRecall.exe" c:\path\to\file.urd

You then won't need this option as you did it yourself.
Un check the Options | General | Startup | Run Ultra Recall when Windows starts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: