Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 07-30-2006, 09:25 PM

request for search enhancement

What I use ultrarecall mostly (or at least what I intended to use it for when I bought it) was to do quick search for information.

There is 1 thing that I find that I need to feel that I am not being needlessly slowed down by the product:

After doing a quick search (ctrl-shift-F, enter keywords, press enter) and then selecting the item, I need to press ctrl-F and then search within the Item to find the word within the item that I was looking for.

Probably, it would be great if each match within the item was added to the search results list, instead of one entry in the search results per item.

Honestly, I am regretting my purchase of this product. My fault of course for not figuring out the deficiency sooner. Hopefully this can be added to the next release!

Pretty please?!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:26 PM

someone else with same suggestion.

I see that igoldsmith is asking for the same thing here:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthr...p;threadid=1459

I will also mention that the functionality that I am asking for is currently in other similary products, infoselect and keynote (I am coming from the keynote world).
Old 07-31-2006, 02:47 PM

Infoselect - well not really - its great at searching many things - especially its own internal items, but it does not search in pdf's for example - so if you have a lot of those you are stuffed - and it is incredibly slow searching saved web pages... The closest to search nirvana is AskSam - but the product has serious bugs - I tried it for a while and got a refund - way too dangerous to trust with data integrity..

I recommend be patient with UltraRecall - it won't be that long before GDS works with it, then you'll have your cake and eat it! :-)

In the meantime - if fast, complex searching, with results highlighting is critical for you - just export your UR documents to disk and use GDS, or any other desktop search tool.. Exporting is simple and quick by the way...

And its dead easy to keep UR and its data mirrored on disk - just create and save a UR Search with "Date Created" Greater Than or Equal to [the date of the last export] - then periodically (daily whatever) export the search results to disk, and update the value field in the UR search each time.. This is not ideal but it works better if you want to perform boolean searching with results highlighting and so forth...

As far as I know there is no product (like UR) out there that will enable you to import/index, view and search/highlight all the different data and documents types - oh maybe with the exception of Omea Pro - but then Omea Pro is not a replacement for UR, maybe something to use along with...
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 PM

subject of post

The subject of the post is not GDS. Although that would be nice, it is not too problematic for me.

The request that I have is for the search results list to list each match separately as opposed to just a list of match items. For instance if I search for "bean" and an item contains the word "bean" twice, then I would like both matches to show up in the search results. When I click on a search result line, it should bring me to the corresponding matched line within the item, and hightlight the match.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:40 PM

I don't want the list of search results cluttered with every instance of a word I searched for. I just want to see in which notes the word occurs. So if kinook implements this feature I hope one will have the option to turn it off. I would prefer that every instance of a searched word is highlighted in the notes in which it occurs.
(By the way, there is programme which lists in its search results every instance of the searched word: InfoRapid CardfFile System (InfoRapid Karteikasten) - http://www.inforapid.de/html/cardfile.htm.)
Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 AM

I agree that one should be able to turn it off, but I REALLY could use this feature and honestly its the only thing holding me back from purchasing at this point (That and the inability to import microsoft word documents as text and not as links to files)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: