Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Thank you to Kinook and GTD

Ladies and Gentlemen of the two unrelated products and teams.

I just wish to say thank you to all who have contributed to these two unbelievable products and to the users (you) who keep pushing the boundaries of them.

I am a Technical manager for an IT company and am dealing with a huge number of issues, details, projects, tasks, loose ends and people.

Last year, around this time, I was going nuts trying to hold it together. None of my systems were tight enough to stops the leaks and I was dropping balls all the time.

Enter the dragon(s). UR and GTD.

I stubbled upon UR in a desperate search for a database system to hold all of the details of the 30 or 40 projects I was running. I spent three weeks downloading and testing 13 different products. I tried UR, liked it and bought it. Hunting the forums lead me to GTD. Thank you whom ever posted the GTD stuff. Thank you David Allen (Who wrote it). Little did I realise one year later would I be writing this note of thanks for saving my sanity, and most probably my job.

GTD provides a methodology of thinking.
UR delivers a brilliant tool to hold it together.

I now never loose details and they are always available in an instant. The products on their own are great. The two product combined make an awesome professional tool kit that gives an serious user an edge in this digital world we live.

Thank you all.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 AM

lazlo24,

thank you very much for your interesting post!

I have a similar job like you (CRM/Siebel/eMarketing/Reporting) and my main issue is to bring all the stuff together and to not lose the overview.

UR is currently the only which fits my requirements. One of the coolest features of UR is logical linking. It really helps to glue the different items together.

Dominik
Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Logical linking

Hi Semanticum

I totally agree that UR is the ONLY tool.

I have to say I have not played around with logical linking.
How does it help you keep it together?

Thanks
Lazlo24
Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM

Lazlo14,

I am using logical linking to connect the contacts to the tasks they are involved with. This looks like this in UR:

Tasks
-- Task 1
---- Contact 1 (logical link)
---- Contact 2 (logical link)
---- File 1 (logical link)
---- Task 25 (logical link)

-- Task 2
---- Contact 1 (logical link)
---- File 1 (logical link)

-- Task 25

Contacts
-- C
---- Contact 1
---- Contact 2

When I open Task 1 I see all contact linked to this task. The cool thing with logical linking shows up when I click on Contact 1: Then I can see all the items where Contact 1 is linked to in the Item Parents View. I recommend to have this View open all the time when using logical linking.

I often use logical linking to add a file in different places wherever I need it. Using logical linking reduces clicks and search time. Further, it gives you the feeling to have all the necessary information at your finger tips related to the context you are.

You can even created nested structures of Task hierarchies. I can't add all my pending tasks just into a flat list because some are dependent to others or some are prequisites for others.

I will add a screenshot for clarification tomorrow.

I needed some time to understand logical linking. Just start using it. The more you use it the more powerful your linking system gets.

Dominik
Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 AM

Logical linking

Hi Semanticum

Ok. LL looks cool. I can definately see some benefits from its integration. I think it will take me a little while to realise its potential but that is ok. This is what I found with UR.

I am interested with the concept relating to nested lists and dependant tasks. This is one puzzle I have not unraveled yet on how to create something with depenancies so a search will tell me only the next item to do rather than the entire project. From what I visualise with nested lists it will give you a view to dependancies but not a searchable logical list output.

Is that the case?
Lazlo24
Old 12-07-2007, 02:43 AM

Yes, it takes time to perceive the value of logical linking. The more you do it the better it gets.

You may have a look at this tread in this forum:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...ogical+linking

Scroll down to the second last post from Kevina. There is a urd file attached which explaines logical linking and how to search for items to see where they are attached to.

Hope it helps.

Dominik

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: