Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM

SQLite shells or frontends?

I downloaded your special version of the SQLite frontend (SQLite3.zip, 196,608 bytes), but was unable to unzip it.

So I uploaded the file to an unzipping web service, and it told me it could not unzip it.

Could you give the link to un unzippable version, please?

In the meantime, I went to sqlite.org, downloaded their sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3071502.zip and unzipped it (without problems). Then I ran the unzipped .exe, but didn't get any shell or frontend, but just a dos / command window, nothing else, with the indication to put in .help (and enter) for help, but no result (ok, I didn't download and unzip their help file, so that's very probably my fault here).

Anyway, I had hoped to get any frontend or such, in which I could view some query results, and such, not only a dos window to put commands in. Also, when using another sqlite shell than yours, I first have to change the header of my .urd file to the sql standard, then make any other changes, then have to change it back - am I expected to do all this within the dos box?

So, can you give some hint to a commercial, or free, or trial frontend in which I could do (or try to do) changes to my .urd file (instead of just using the global replace function but which is missing)? Which such "graphical" frontend could you recommend, which others might be better to be avoided? In short, any start-up hints for a database newbie?

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Besides the un-unzippabability of your special (just a dos window, too?) version, it seems it has been my misconception of what to expect there, so a "shell" is a dos window, and nothing more?

I'm currently searching the web for "sqlite frontend", to good success, and perhaps "Navicat for SQLite" is the best solution here, since Navicat is known as a professional frontend for many such databases.

So, can you give any hints as to which points have to be observed, when trying to manipulate a Ultra Recall database, with an external SQLite frontend, except for the header changing? (In the way, "leave alone this and that", and so on.)

Thank you!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM

I just download the console from http://www.kinook.com/Download/Misc/SQLite3.zip

I am able to unzip it with both File Explorer in Windows 8 and peazip (free @ peazip.org). Perhaps you need to update your unzipping tool.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre View Post
I downloaded your special version of the SQLite frontend (SQLite3.zip, 196,608 bytes), but was unable to unzip it.
Judging by the size it's an incomplete download, just empty the cache in your browser and re-download.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre View Post
In short, any start-up hints for a database newbie?
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with direct edits? Maybe that would help the experts (not me by far) give you some answers.

(I have played with databases like this /but not with UR databases/ directly couple of times in the past, and unless you have a good knowledge of SQL and study the internals of the particular database you are editing, you can very easily run into problems once you make the changes and copy the database back to use with the program. Though I'm sure you are aware of that.)

As for the frontend to sqlite, one that's not completely bad and free is this Firefox addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...qlite-manager/

Last edited by TMF; 03-13-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: