Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 PM

very disappointed with synchronization

I have to say that, even with the go-faster registry settings - the synchronization process is going to be much better suited for disk based or outlook folders where there are not a huge number of items, and/or where the regularity of syncs needed is relatively infrequent.

In my case I wanted to keep a windows file system folder tree, containing a few thousand files and internet shortcuts, and several Outlook Folders each containing more than a thousand items, synchronized. Since these folders are changing several times a day, and synchronizing with UR locks you out of doing anything else with UR until completed - I find the sync process essentially unusable.

To be truly useful, the sync process needs to happen as a background process, and not lock up UR from doing anything else. Ideally, you should be able to set an Option/Preference where UR automatically checks for changes in the synchronized folders, at custom intervals specified by the user, and then the sync happens in the background while the user is getting on with something else (in UR)....
Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Create a Scheduled Task to perform a command-line sync at a time when UR is not in use.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/command_linesyntax.htm

Something like

"C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\UltraRecall.exe" /item <item id of item to sync> /sync
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Re: very disappointed with synchronization

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
In my case I wanted to keep a windows file system folder tree, containing a few thousand files and internet shortcuts, and several Outlook Folders each containing more than a thousand items, synchronized. Since these folders are changing several times a day, and synchronizing with UR locks you out of doing anything else with UR until completed - I find the sync process essentially unusable.

To be truly useful, the sync process needs to happen as a background process, and not lock up UR from doing anything else. Ideally, you should be able to set an Option/Preference where UR automatically checks for changes in the synchronized folders, at custom intervals specified by the user, and then the sync happens in the background while the user is getting on with something else (in UR)....
I completely agree, and I find myself in similar circumstances. Kinook's answer is not satisfactory, it is just another workaround. But there may not be a viable solution. If my understanding is correct, the database can not accept further input from any user when it is in the process of writing / updating. The massive synchs you describe will lock you out of UR for VERY long periods. The incremental synchs are good in theory, but in practice, I think that you will end up having UR unexpectedly unavailable. That could be infuriating too.

Jon
Old 08-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Create a Scheduled Task to perform a command-line sync at a time when UR is not in use.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/command_linesyntax.htm

Something like

"C:\Program Files\UltraRecall\UltraRecall.exe" /item <item id of item to sync> /sync
Doesn't work for me... Jetbrains Omea Pro is about to start getting back into business, its the only tool that integrates fully and friendly with windows file system and Outlook...

UltraRecall would need to provide background sync processing in order for me to use again.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 12:05 PM

this is funny ...
You post made me go back and take a look at JetBrains products which I have come across at least a year ago. I said this is funny because as I was browsing their forums, first thing I saw quite commonly is something to this effect...

HELP!
I love this product, but the interface with Outlook doesn't work. I get 2 errors
"OMEA IS UNABLE TO INITIALIZE OUTLOOK"
Forget it, run away!

I've been trying out Omea for about a month now and have been using it extensively during that time. There have been many bugs that I've stumbled upon in this short time frame and came to the conclusion that Omea isn't that stable so
that I can rely on it 100% hence I quit using it. Matter of fact is right now I'm cleaning up and transferring my stuff elsewhere, will uninstall shortly after.

Full thread here http://www.intellij.net/forums/threa...68947&tstart=0

Not that I'm blindly loyal to any of these products since it hurts both the the user and the developer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: