Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 AM

Best use of insert key

I have given thought to what Kinook said in another thread about using the Insert key to create notes. Logically, the Insert key ought to be the ideal key, especially if it could often be used alone without conjuction with other keys such as Ctrl, Alt etc. It would then have an elegant simplicity.

I have had a look at Info Select to see why it works so well in that regard (albeit not in other things, hence my emigration from it). InfoSelect (as I have it set up) instead works using individual letters. But if the Insert key were instead used, it might work like this:

- Pressing Insert on a NON-expanded (or lone) element (be it note, directory, or whatever) would create a new identical element directly underneath.

- Pressing Insert on an expanded item when selecting the parent, would create a child immediately underneath the parent (ie above all other children), of the same type as the parent (or possibly of the same type as the next most senior child).

- Pressing, say, Shift-insert would work as above, but would always create a note. And pressing, say, Ctrl-insert would always create a directory.

- For good measure, the Enter key would toggle, so that one press would open the tree (as it now does) but a second press would close it again (which frustratingly it does not now do).

Whilst I see a logic to being able to pre-determine the type of child created in the attibutes window, I personally find that I forget what attribute I have set up, particularly when moving between databases. Nonetheless, it is a clever and useful (albeit not very intuitive) feature that might be retained whilst also allowing the suggestions above.

I think these small changes would greatly enhance UR.