Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 10-29-2003, 12:58 PM

Question CVS no password

Due to a recent failure of one of my workstations I have had to temporarly moves files from it to another. I was using VBP without any problems. However now I can no longer check files out of our CVS respository through VBP due to "empty password". CVS works fine through cmd-line and various GUI front ends, but not VBP. I have tried setting the HOME env-var so i know where the .cvspass should be loaded from, but still same error. Does any one know why?

Thanks
Paul.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Administrator

The CVS action in VBP just wraps the cvs command-line tool. Did you restart VBP after setting the environment variable? Did you try setting the CVS_PASSFILE env var (http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/c...s_2.html#SEC31)? Note: an alternative to setting the env var externally would be to use a Set Macro action within VBP marked to update environment variables.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:04 AM

All of the steps you mention i have tried and am still left with the same result. I even tried setting the password in the supplied property page text box but that then tells me that the user <username>:<password> does not exists.

You said that VBP wraps the cvs command line application. I am able to perform all actions from the command line in all of the directories I have tested, which includes the path I am trying to checkout to using VBP. I have removed all macros related to CVS from my build script to ensure that using the command line and VBP use the same env vars, still it says there is no password.

Paul.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:24 AM

command line call valid?

If you check the step's 'Show command-line call that is constructed', can you execute this same command line call outside of visual build pro and not have a problem with a missing password?

This should provide the clues necessary to figure out if this is a CVS related problem, or something wrong with Visual Build Pro.

Just my $.02.

Kevin
Old 10-31-2003, 12:52 PM

I have been using WinCVS 1.2 as my cvs client. I just upgraded to the 1.3 beta. Still I have the problem with no password if I don't supply one, but at least I am able to put a password in now without it raising the error - unknown user <username>:<password>.

FYI - As of version 1.3 WinCVS's cvs.exe no longer creates a .cvspass file but stores the required info in the HKCU\SOFTWARE\CVSNT\cvsnt registry key, CVS_PASSFILE now has no affect.

As for the command line output. I took the output from VBP (without a password) and pasted into the command line console - it didn't work. I replaced the -d :pserver... option with %CVSROOT% and it worked. I to be sure that the contents of CVSROOT and the built CVSROOT of VBP were the same I took the value of my env var CVSROOT and put it into the command line. This didn't work either. So I called cvs login -d :pserver... and logged in. After that the command line without a env var and VBP works.

Last edited by sw.slave; 10-31-2003 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Administrator

The only real differences between running the CVS action in VBP and running CVS command-line directly outside of VBP would be the current directory of the process and its environment settings.

The CVS action will set the current directory for the process to the value provided in the Path field on the Repository tab, so make sure this matches the path you are running your Command Prompt test from.

You could compare the environments by building a Run Program step of

%DOSCMD% set

and comparing the output with a 'set' command from your Command Prompt to see if anything it different.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:24 PM

The problem wasn't VBP, but how GNU's WinCVS handles the persistance of a user's information. The last post sounded like I assmued that VBP set CVSROOT, that was not my assumption. Sorry for any confusion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: