Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 07-15-2007, 06:48 PM

New attribute type: hyperlink

currently, there are these attribute types: date, money, string ...

I see that when I drag/drop into attribute value (either in Item attributes pane or directly into form), only the string is pasted, the URL info is stripped. Could you please consider the support of hyperlinks as attribute value (it would probably need to be a newly created hyperlink attribute type)? Thank you in advance! (turns out that I might need this badly, could you please comment on feasibility + expected implementation time-frame if decided to go for it?)
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Re: New attribute type: hyperlink

Sorry quant, I read your post, left it and am now back again still not understanding your requirements properly.
Quote:
I see that when I drag/drop into attribute value (either in Item attributes pane or directly into form), only the string is pasted, the URL info is stripped.
Are you for example selecting a URL in a document then drag&dropping into a string type attribute in UR?
Quote:
Could you please consider the support of hyperlinks as attribute value...turns out that I might need this badly...
Got a moment to convey how you want the proposed new hyperlink attribute to work?

Having asked the above, I will take the opportunity to make the following comments. I had logged for future posting a suggestion that I derived from an outlining tool I evaluated a while ago. It had a URL data type. It was pretty neat actually. Let's say the in-built Contact attributes Email (Work), Email (Home) and Web Site were of type URL. Imagine the following presentation / behaviour on the data entry form:

--- with no value assigned there is an edit box (like now)
--- with a value assigned it turns the familiar underlined blue
--- when you single left-click you send an email/open the web page
--- (UR parses the string to automatically detect email address |vs| web site address)
--- to edit an existing value, you right-click to make an edit box appear

NOTE: this would open up the opportunity for users to mimic the behaviour of the [Send] and [Go] buttons that exist on the in-built Contacts data entry form. Kinook could remove these buttons, replacing them with the proposed behaviour. This would save them from wondering about and responding to questions about "how do I create [Send] and [Go] buttons on my custom forms?"
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 AM

Re: Re: New attribute type: hyperlink

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
Sorry quant, I read your post, left it and am now back again still not understanding your requirements properly
just try to grad any item to another item's attribute (or directly to a form). It will either not allow you (form), or just pastes a string (item attribute pane).
So my suggestion is simple, keep the url info in the attribute value (just like when you grad/drop directly to item text/notes).
Old 07-17-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
just try to grad any item to another item's attribute (or directly to a form). It will either not allow you (form), or just pastes a string (item attribute pane).
So my suggestion is simple, keep the url info in the attribute value (just like when you grad/drop directly to item text/notes).
Oh... I see what you mean. Even if you drag&drop an item into the URL attribute in the Item Attributes pane, it simply puts the Item Title.

So, let's say the URL attribute ended up with, for example, ur:///?item=1026,1000 rather than the Item Title. How would you use this alternative behaviour?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
So, let's say the URL attribute ended up with, for example, ur:///?item=1026,1000 rather than the Item Title. How would you use this alternative behaviour?
I wouldn't like it to end up as ur:///?item=1026,1000 only, but as a whole hyperlink, ie. (string name + url link) as usual. It would be very helpful for easy navigation in the first place
+ powerful search (if implemented) cause you could search either for item title (the string value) or directly for itemID (the first number in url link), but this could be postponed.
For the moment the navigation advantage is more that enough
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Sorry to bother you again quant, but where does logical linking fit with your idea? You comment "It would be very helpful for easy navigation..." and "...the navigation advantage is more than enough...". Navigation is of course a major consequence of logical linking.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry to bother you again quant, but where does logical linking fit with your idea?
nowhere
it's based on this http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...s=&postid=9691
ie. I wouldn't be able to use "Has Children" search type.

But maybe somewhere, if this suggestion could be implemented:
please create "Has Children (links not taken into account)" search type. Then I'd be able to use links and still search for items that have no kids (apart from logical links)
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
...if this suggestion could be implemented:
please create "Has Children (links not taken into account)" search type. Then I'd be able to use links and still search for items that have no kids (apart from logical links)
Ah ha - I think I understand...

When you create a child item you want to lock in a formal child-parent relationship. When you logically link an item, you want to record a linked child-parent relationship. Then with searching, you could distinguish between Formal Children |vs| Linked Children, allowing you to isolate items with no formal children.

My guess is that this would be a real pain in the arse for Kinook. It's really neat the way you can flexibly delete an item from it's original parent and have it formally adopted straight away by it's subsequent parent. I doubt that UR stores anything special regards the original parent. BTW - if my previous paragraph was on the money, if you had a multi-logically linked item and you removed it from it's formal or original parent, how would you propose to deal with it? Would you allow it to orphan and thus no longer have a formal parent?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
My guess is that this would be a real pain in the arse for Kinook. It's really neat the way you can flexibly delete an item from it's original parent and have it formally adopted straight away by it's subsequent parent. I doubt that UR stores anything special regards the original parent.
it doesn't matter. This should be very easily implemented by Kinook, cause they can request whether each child has more that one parent, I cannot do that with current search options! If there is no children that has more than one parent (indication that this is a linked item!), that's it ... return that item in the search result

Quote:
if you had a multi-logically linked item and you removed it from it's formal or original parent, how would you propose to deal with it? Would you allow it to orphan and thus no longer have a formal parent?
this search feature request doesn't require any changes in a way how UR deals with logical links/parents/...
the only thing it does ... it requests info about item that is one level from the item in question.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: