Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 02-19-2005, 12:47 PM

tmp~~MyVBProject.vbp

Hi,

I'm compiling some VB6 projects, I have the bld set so that the "compiler command line" shows up in the log window. When I see it go by it has appended "tmp~~" to the VBP.

The issue this is causing for me is that some developers have not explicitly added a title string to their msgbox's in some of these projects and because of this the msgbox uses the name of the vbp. So the msgbox titles are all appended with "tmp~~"

I was wondering if there is a setting I'm missing when compiling VB6 projects. Or is there a work around for this?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

The Make VB6 action always uses a temporary copy of the .vbp file to get around the VB6 limitation of not being able to build a project from the command-line that is already loaded in the IDE (in case any of the projects being built are also open by the user in the IDE).

If a VB6 project's application title has not been explicitly set (Project | Properties | Application | Title) in the VB IDE, MsgBox calls that don't specify a title will use the .vbp filename instead. To resolve this, either change the project's title in the IDE (if the displayed title is correct, add and remove a space and OK the dialog to get the VB IDE to save the value in the .vbp file), or use VisBuildPro to automate adding the title to the .vbp files if missing (see attached sample).
Attached Files
File Type: bld vbtitle.bld (1.2 KB, 1116 views)
Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Hi,

Yes it looks like the "Title" property is the cause. What I found is that if in the IDE you go to "Project > Properties > Make" just opening up that dialog and then saving the VBP will set the Title property to the same name as the project. I would think that the "Title" could be added as a cmd line compile option "/cmd or /c", but I could not get that to work...by this I mean just at the cmd line, nothing related to Visual Builder. All I could find on this option was the text from MSDN on this but no examples so maybe I just have the syntax wrong.

I can use the logic in the script you sent but I believe the "Title" has to come before the line "[MS Transaction Server]", which is added to my projects each time. Otherwise the "Title" property is not used (I assume it is seen as relating to the "[MS Transaction Server]"). So what I did was add a "Make VB6" step that only updates the properties. In this step I update the "Comments" property with a specific value and then in the Replace step I use this as the Replace value. Then on compile I overwrite this.

Thank for the script, I was having a hard time getting some like the vbld_GetFileContents condition to work.

Thanks,
Frank

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: