Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM

Question Get VBP project hierarchy?

I've inherited some VBP Projects that wisely call other modularized VBP Projects. Challenge is starting with the top-level .bld file, and then knowing which .bld's are nested within it.

In a nutshell I need a script to spit out all the steps (and some properties) in order whether the step be in the parent build, a child build, a grandchild...and so on. Something that without execution of all the logic, just puts my steps into a flat view without having to actually run the build (since the build can take 3-4 hours and/or fail to complete).

The "Log all steps and properties" script in the Script.bld sample file does an awesome job of it...but I need it to chase down all child builds as well.

Also tried this shortcut, but it put the steps at the end and requires I know which files are needed in advance.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286817

Before I dust off my VBScript gloves, does anyone else have this same need and/or a solution already available?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator

See the logsteps.bld sample three threads down.

You can also select a VisBuildPro Project step and choose View | Shell | Launch on the menu (Ctrl+Shift+L) to navigate to a child project.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Talking awesome

Thanks - exactly what I asked for and thanks for posting so quickly.

I can also take this framework and just add/remove properties I want to see or do my own formatting.

Will save us hundreds of man hours directly and indirectly over time.

Thanks for the tip on launching child builds through the shell launch...have been using that one a lot but the flat view helps put all the pieces together into something digestible (especially those without access to or familiarity with VBP).
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Question save this as a .bld file?

so if I wanted to adapt this to consolidate all the child builds into one master project .bld file, are there any caveats there...or is it just copying the step object as XML instead of logging out all the properties to text? Any tips on doing that?

I've already adapted this a couple times to just pull out certain types of steps and fill-in macro values for me that would've normally been tedious to cross-reference (or require me to run the build and debug). Can see lots of ways to re-use the framework of the original script provided - thanks.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Here is the sample mentioned above.
Attached Files
File Type: bld logsteps.bld (2.2 KB, 2179 views)
Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Administrator

And here is a sample that combines a project and all chained projects. This may require some tweaking for proper indenting with multiple levels of chaining.
Attached Files
File Type: bld combine.bld (2.0 KB, 2231 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: