Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 PM

please make selected Item in tree MUCH MORE obvious

Hi Kinook

Could you please, please, make the selected Item in the Tree much more obvious - or even better, provide us with an Option to custom change the font, color, boldness etc, or highlighted background color of the selected Item in the Tree...

Anyone else need this?

Thanks very much,

Ian Goldsmid
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 AM

I'd love to have a lot more options in the Explorer Pane. Multiple icons (as you can have in OneNote), changing the character colors without using flags, multiple sorting orders would be a good start.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
changing the character colors without using flags ....
once you'd be able to do that, the flags colours would become meaningless cause you couldn't tell what's what
Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 AM

Re: please make selected Item in tree MUCH MORE obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
Hi Kinook

Could you please, please, make the selected Item in the Tree much more obvious - or even better, provide us with an Option to custom change the font, color, boldness etc, or highlighted background color of the selected Item in the Tree...

Anyone else need this?

Thanks very much,

Ian Goldsmid
Yes, I agree, that would be very useful, especially when doing a search limited to the highlighted item in the explorer pane; it's often difficult to tell which item that is.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Re: please make selected Item in tree MUCH MORE obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by igoldsmid
Hi Kinook

Could you please, please, make the selected Item in the Tree much more obvious [snip] Anyone else need this?[/snip]
I would also find this useful.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
once you'd be able to do that, the flags colours would become meaningless cause you couldn't tell what's what
Not so - the flag icons can easily stand on their own. I see no necessity for linking the flag color to the item color in the Explorer Pane.

Indeed, you could easily leave the color of the line black and let the flags do all the work.

Telling me that I couldn't tell what's what is a bit of a jump. Sort of reminds me of the bloke who says, "You know - money can't buy happiness." My reply, "Please - let me find out for myself."

Obviously, not the same because for this to happen, someone's got to make an effort and the question is whether it's worth the effort. But telling me what I would and wouldn't find useful or meaningless isn't useful to me.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
But telling me what I would and wouldn't find useful or meaningless isn't useful to me.
I meant only that in the system as it is, one is not required to have flags visible, in which case the colour of item would be ambiguous ... I only pointed that and nothing more :-)
Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 PM

The data explorer pane in general is quite limited in capabilities. If I understood correctly (in one of the threads), it's not Kinook who developed it cause they mentioned some vendor.

Rather than fonts and colours, I'd like to see ability to display the real structure of my data, which is not a tree but graph (due to loops created by items having more than one parent), this could be an option. And if I could switch on/off the hyperlinks that link items, and change the layout of the structure, that would be fantastic ... anyway, back to reality ...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'd love to have a lot more options in the Explorer Pane. Multiple icons (as you can have in OneNote)...
Does this mean multiple icons for the same item?

Does this imply that the icon would change based on a condition or rule?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM

In another DB program I used, Hi Priority items were bolded, while low priority were greyed. I found this useful. User could also search by font condition.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
Does this mean multiple icons for the same item?

Does this imply that the icon would change based on a condition or rule?
In Microsoft OneNote you can have multiple icons, not only for a different item, but for paragraphs within an item. This is similar to having multiple tags associated with an item - all visible from the surface of the interface (meaning you don't have to open an item to see the icons).

Thus I can have an icon associated with importance. I can have another icon associated with subject are (personal versus business versus charity work, etc.)

Multiple differentiators on the surface of the interface CAN lead to clutter if done poorly, but if done with clutter in mind, the differentiators can be made sufficiently subtle that I can see at a glance what is in front of me before opening the item.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-27-2007, 04:06 AM

More Flags with Icons

Greetings!

A serious problem in UR 3.2 is the paltry number of flags available (7), and who can remember what the colored flags are supposed to designate once they are affixed to items on the Tree? To make matters worse, even the flag icons don't appear, merely the color of the Tree item is changed accordingly as the flags are affixed.

One thing UR should adopt from MS OneNote (and please keep such adoptions to the bare minimum): icons -- which are a little easier to recognize / remember than various colored flags. Also recommended (not available in ON 2007): icon importation (or even icon creation / modification).

Then, after various items on the Tree have been iconized, so to speak, we should be able to do filters on the Tree according to one or more of these icons, which would be much faster than doing flag searchers. Just a suggestion.

Regards
Old 10-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Flags Appear Option

Oops! Perhaps I should read the UR Options section more carefully for I discovered (stumbled upon would be more like it) that the flag icons can be toggled on or off in the Tree. Still, it would be nice to be able to affix a variety of user-defined icons.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Re: Flags Appear Option

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
Still, it would be nice to be able to affix a variety of user-defined icons.
If you are looking for icons that can replace the default set available for Data Explorer Items see the following threads:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1701

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2940

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: