Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM

online ultra recall databases

another PIM competitor is going "online", http://webbrain.com/

I remember few discussions about this, but checking roadmap, there are no plans to make UR databases available through the browser.

Anyone (apart from myself ) would like to be able to work on (or at least see) their databases through the browser (either stored on kinooks server or preferably on your own)?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM

The more I think about it, the more interesting this sounds. Practically everything is getting the "cloud" treatment these days--why not UR?

In addition to a strong database password, the website would have to be running SSL for me to use it--and probably read-only as well (at least at first ). These are all things I can control. Now we just need the browser interface and code to support remote access. That's the easy part right?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Whoops, before flying off to some other website, I just scrolled down a little further and saw the post 'Storing and Working on UR files in the "Cloud"'. Same topic. Kinook's reply pretty much explains why I used a big grin after my last statement which is meant to be ironic.

IMO, UR already beats the industry goliaths in the desktop PIM arena (especially after some of the top roadmap items are released). As for dreams of a Web-based version, guess we'll have to keep our heads out of the clouds for now.

Last edited by mikeg; 05-16-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 PM

i wish i was millionare, i would just buy thebrain and other revelant companies and a lot of developers to create super PIM in few months

or maybe not, maybe i wouldn't care to learn/store/recall anything then, loool

i guess, one day google will develop their online PIM and others just won't be able to compete ... programs like picasa, youtube etc all work with keywords, they already had very nice notebook application, online doc editing, it would really be easy for them to do it
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 AM

I am against the online version. You can easily synchronize UR files between different computers using Dropbox.

Ulta Recall better than Personal Brain 6 because it is able to work on a local network simultaneously with the same *.urd file from multiple computers. And if you want the synchronization via the internet, due to the fact that UR stored all data in one compact database file, then this task superbly performs free Dropbox service.

Besides all this, UR more powerful and convenient PIM at all. Maybe not so visual beautiful, but practical, fast and convenient.

Last edited by Ilya; 05-17-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilya
I am against the online version. You can easily synchronize UR files between different computers using Dropbox.
i'm not even able to connect to dropbox, very restrictive corporate firewall ... all of sharing/syncing/... sites are strictly forbidden
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 AM

Similar problems may arise with the online version of any software. Your firewall misses, for example, work with PB6 or EverNote?

With regard to online versions of UR.
The fact that the realization of such a functional in program and the server for this service - this is a very big job for a very long period of development. Is it worth it so? It is better this time and effort spent on improving Ultra Recall
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Similar problems may arise with the online version of any software. Your firewall misses, for example, work with PB6 or EverNote?
neither works, but i can run for example mybase on my server.

Quote:
The fact that the realization of such a functional in program and the server for this service - this is a very big job for a very long period of development. Is it worth it so? It is better this time and effort spent on improving Ultra Recall
sure, if it's too much job, it's not worth. but then it would be nice if for example syncing UR items between databases works as suggested here
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=4448

i have a big database and i'd like to work with part of it when i'm not at home, the question is how to do it efficiently?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vogelap
I store my Ultra Recall database in a Dropbox folder, so it's automatically synchonized across the various computers I use. This is a satisfactory solution for accessing my data.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vogelap
I store my Ultra Recall database in a Dropbox folder, so it's automatically synchonized across the various computers I use.
Sounds good. My early experiences with online backup (a couple years ago) were not so good, but I've been anxious to try online backup/sync again. With encryption and strong passwords of course... Will probably try SugarSync, Syncplicity and Windows Live Sync first. I'm looking for features, service comparable to Dropbox without having to move file/folders to a fixed location and mess with symlinks.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:35 PM

I use Dropbox also. Works a treat as long as you have access.

quant, there are a few ways around the company firewall - I did so when I worked for the engineering company. Of course if there is a threat of termination of employment by doing so then it is probably too big a risk.

How do you handle UR at work now? USB flash drive? A lot of companies forbid those also.

Jim
Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
quant, there are a few ways around the company firewall - I did so when I worked for the engineering company. Of course if there is a threat of termination of employment by doing so then it is probably too big a risk.
i don't want to do anything that's not allowed
Quote:
Originally posted by J-Mac
How do you handle UR at work now? USB flash drive? A lot of companies forbid those also.
usb doesn't work. the only thing that works is external email, i.e. it's not explicitly forbidden (apart from gmail, gmail doc, ...). that means i can only work with about 10MB files. as i mentioned in another thread, it would be nice if one could sync UR items, at the moment it's very painful, cause only thing i can do is to create new items at work and send them "home" (non-confidential stuff), or take part of the "home" db to send to work for "read only" purposes.

i also tried teamviewer to connect to my pc from work, it worked fine most of the time, but i'm worried that this is a big security threat for the company, so i'd rather not use it at all.

other thing i tried was mybase that i run on my webserver, this works quite well, the only problem is that it's not UR

so if i could run UR on my webserver, i'd be happy. it's not gonna happen any soon so if you have any suggestion, i'm listening ... thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: