Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Outlining

Hi:

First, congratulations on the release of 3.5. You are one of the very few companies that meets their target dates. More importantly, this release has very significant improvements for me. Thank you.

Now my question. Is there any way to have the items in the explorer pane numbered automatically (outline format)?

Jon
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Re: Outlining

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
Now my question. Is there any way to have the items in the explorer pane numbered automatically (outline format)?

Jon
maybe you could use Tree order attribute and use the new feature in 3.5 and use this attribute for title ...
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Re: Re: Outlining

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
maybe you could use Tree order attribute and use the new feature in 3.5 and use this attribute for title ...
Forgive my ignorance. Please show me how to locate/discover this Tree Order attribute. The manual classifies it as a Virtual Attribute. But I can't insert one. Please help. Thanks.
Armstrong
Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Outlining

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Forgive my ignorance. Please show me how to locate/discover this Tree Order attribute. The manual classifies it as a Virtual Attribute. But I can't insert one.
I'm getting mixed results with this.

When I insert the [Tree Order] Attribute into the Child Items Pane for various Items sometimes it shows a value, and sometimes it doesn't.

For the Root Folder it shows values, for the Template Folder it will not.

For a Child Item that has children it may show no value, it may show (0) (zero), or it may show (-1) - in all three cases each Item has at least one child. Sometimes it works as expected.

This does work as a Title Expression:
[Tree Order] || coalesce(': ' || [Some_Attribute], '')

This will convert [Tree Order] from a numeric value to text for the Title Expression, just don't ever sort these siblings in the Data Explorer - you'll end up with a miss-mash (best you can hope for here is an immediate Undo).

Quote:
From the Help file:
Tree Order: this number value will is the position in the Data Explorer/Search pane (NULL value if sorted alphabetically)
If you turn-off Alpha Sort under Options | Tree does it satisfy the last condition from this statement - for existing Items, or only for new?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator

If the items are manually ordered (not sorted), you could use a Title Expression like

[Tree Order] || ' - ' || [Item Title]

But the displayed title value is not dynamic -- you would need to rename existing items for the displayed title to show the order + title (and you would need to rename again after reordering items).

http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/custom_item_titles.htm

Another option would be to export to XML -> numbered HTML outline:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2104
Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 AM

Thank you for the suggestions but nothing so far will satisfy my needs. I am reasonably sure that something like this would be of value to others. Could dynamic outline numbering be included in the roadmap? Not to get too ambitious, but it would be nice to have a choice of numbering styles. The outline numbers could be in a separate attribute which could be optionally displayed in the explorer panel.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
Thank you for the suggestions but nothing so far will satisfy my needs. I am reasonably sure that something like this would be of value to others. Could dynamic outline numbering be included in the roadmap? Not to get too ambitious, but it would be nice to have a choice of numbering styles. The outline numbers could be in a separate attribute which could be optionally displayed in the explorer panel.

Thanks.

Jon
I very much second this feature request. BTW, the point (at least for me) is not to get a numbered outline as some kind of output (e.g., export to html) but to be able to see a numbered outline in the tree. This is important for longer writing projects.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM

I want to second the request for an outliner, preferably a one-page (window) outliner. I know this is a bit difficult to implement, but would be really useful to have.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 AM

I would like to know, if v.4.x shows any addedd feature that seconds a (dynamic) numbered outline on the left panel, as it was asked by previous users.

If not (as it seems in my attempts), is this feature sitting in the "wishlist" for future updates?

Thanks for any feedback
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would like to know, if v.4.x shows any addedd feature that seconds a (dynamic) numbered outline on the left panel, as it was asked by previous users.

If not (as it seems in my attempts), is this feature sitting in the "wishlist" for future updates?

Thanks for any feedback
No, and yes. See http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3204

I have successfully used the data explorer as an outliner by maximizing the pane and enabling word wrap. In combination with attributes, it is reminiscent of Ecco and InfoQube, although not as useful.

Jon
Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I understood how you worked around it. Not I really understood the help manual in how to add a template that does a limited (static) outline numbering.

It would be helpful (but probably I ask too much) a step by step explanation.
Thanks again in any case.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I understood how you worked around it. Not I really understood the help manual in how to add a template that does a limited (static) outline numbering.

It would be helpful (but probably I ask too much) a step by step explanation.
Thanks again in any case.
Perhaps a screen shot will explain better

Jon
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks Jon,
I get it! Very nice, though it is not really outline numbering (what I was looking for, see below, in the attempt to replicate my TOC research papers), but rather outline bulleting. But congratulations for the achivement.
Name:  outline numbering.png
Views: 704
Size:  5.0 KB

Last edited by Anthony; 12-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM

I realize that it is not what you need, but it works for me. I rely extensively on outliners and continue to use Ecco Pro and InfoQube. You might want to have a look and see if they suit you better for this purpose.

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: