Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 01-25-2007, 03:57 AM

encryption or password protection

It doesn't look like we can password protect or encrypt individual note. I would love to see this feature implemented in the future.

Thank you.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 AM

There is a workaround for this, in case you are interested: you can use Clipsecure (http://www26.brinkster.com/belzecue/...e.htm#download) to encrypt or decrypt the text in individual info items
Old 01-25-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LM7
There is a workaround for this, in case you are interested: you can use Clipsecure (http://www26.brinkster.com/belzecue/...e.htm#download) to encrypt or decrypt the text in individual info items
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try, but it would still be wonderful to have this feature built into UltraRecall since as is I have too many TSR's running in my machine.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 AM

Clipsecure

Just a quick update.

I tried Clipsecure, but it doesn't work in my system. It's possible it's conflicting with Clipmate, but since I need Clipmate full time, it doesn't seem to be feasible.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:06 AM

just use a workaround that was already suggested here and works fine:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1648

In the option setting, set urd files to be open writable, create new urd file and strip it of all unnecessary things, you can protect it with default password if you want, and put this file in template directory, you can rename it to 'protected' or whatever. Now when you create items based on 'protected' template, it will create a copy of the urd default password protected file. You open it CTRL+J, and do whatever you want to do, you can change your default password in the file if you wish. When you finish editing and close it, the parent database with synchronize. That's it. I use it for extra security to protect my sensitive info on item level.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
just use a workaround that was already suggested here and works fine: [snip] I use it for extra security to protect my sensitive info on item level.
Exactly how, i.e. steps... do you protect your private info on an item level. I've read & followed the workaround thread & have a 'private' template link to the "private' file. Now what? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Exactly how, i.e. steps... do you protect your private info on an item level. I've read & followed the workaround thread & have a 'private' template link to the "private' file. Now what? Thanks.
'private' template link to the "private" file

- this cannot be link, it has to be stored inside your urd file!

You have to have (small, empty) protected file in the template. Then just creating new item based on this template creates a small protected file, which you can edit, CTRL+J after submitting password!

I made a small file for you ... the default password is 'default', and the template for protected item (the item is in fact the whole new urd file) is 'protected'

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w2xq6g
Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Thanks for your help. I have to digest all this as I'm not sure I really understand what is happening or what you wrote. I did try it all & it works but I need to understand it too.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
[snip] creating new item based on this template creates a small protected file, which you can edit, CTRL+J after submitting password! [snip]

I made a small file for you ... the default password is 'default', and the template for protected item (the item is in fact the whole new urd file) is 'protected'[/snip]
Several hours later: OK, now I understand what you are saying here...... I think.

Thick skin as well as thick head here so please correct me if I'm wrong:

What happens is that every time I create an item based on this template I open a new file by CTRL+J & password. Once in this mini-file I add an item. When I finish & return to my master file, the little file is saved with the private item.

So, in essence, what this trick does is to allow me to open a password protected file. And yes I understand that just because I'm working from a template, it's sort of automated.

But I could just as easily have a second password file, switch to whenever I wanted to add a private item & switch back to my master file. Closing that second file would encrypt the data as well.

I think -- as clever as this might be -- I don't get the convenience of this approach. That's what I'm trying to understand.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I have to digest all this as I'm not sure I really understand what is happening or what you wrote. I did try it all & it works but I need to understand it too.
when you create an item based on template, UR creates an exact copy of the template item. So if you have in template small urd file, it just creates a copy of it. You can then edit it, change the password, basically anything you can do with urd file.

ps: out of topic, your name isnt American, are your relatives from CzechoSlovakia? ;-)
Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
So, in essence, what this trick does is to allow me to open a password protected file. And yes I understand that just because I'm working from a template, it's sort of automated.

But I could just as easily have a second password file, switch to whenever I wanted to add a private item & switch back to my master file. Closing that second file would encrypt the data as well.

I think -- as clever as this might be -- I don't get the convenience of this approach. That's what I'm trying to understand.
Ask yourself, why do I want password protected item in THE PARTICULAR database?

Of course, you can have dozens of encrypted files spread somewhere on your disk, ... then you dont need UR

The whole point of PIM is to gather and concentrate your data, and be able to retrieve it fast ... so the advantage of the approach explained above is, that your have your data embedded in the given database, and can easily create protected items inside it!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks quant for your excellent explanation of my approach. I couldn't have done it so well myself. I also marvel at Jan's perseverance. It's a great asset not many can put into practice. The trick is in the template theme. Once the user understands how template works in UR it'll be noticed how easy it is, but not quite clear to grasp. I hope Ultra Recall will some day provide a way of its own, although this approach has some interesting advantages .
Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Ask yourself, why do I want password protected item in THE PARTICULAR database?[snip]
OK, I'll buy that argument but, for some reason, I'm just not doing something right so it's not working for me. As I'm now frustrated w the process, I think I'll stop for a while & pick it up in a few days, week or whatever. Thanks for your patience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: