Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 AM

Question Losing Focus - Why ??

I have a film database in UR with a folder in which I keep a separate child for each film details.

My problem is that if I want to scroll down the list of films in data explorer one after the other, I can highlight one title but the focus jumps to the display of that particular film rather than staying on and in the data explorer.

I have un-set in options the box (set focus to active pane when going to an item).

Strange thing is on imported items I can scroll up and down the data explorer to browse items and it does not loose focus but does what I want.

Am I doing somthing wrong?

(edit)
I have just realised that all web pages scroll ok but imported text, pdf does not and its these that loose focus.

Can I alter this ?

Last edited by eno; 02-22-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Hi,

I don't have UR on the computer I'm using now, however if memory serves...

My experience is that if UR has to launch an app, the focus changes to the document pane. If the text is native to UR, then I believe the focus will stay on the explorer pane.

Corrections anyone?

Thanks.

Regards,
Bal
Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Right, some detail pane viewers (such as Word, sometimes IE, and possibly others) will grab focus when that pane is loaded (UR itself doesn't, but some apps embedded within UR do). What type of items are these and which viewer is being used to display them?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
What type of items are these and which viewer is being used to display them?
To my experience, all items loaded via the browser show this behaviour. I have set pdf, doc, xls and tiff files to be shown via the browser (alternatiff browser plugin for tiff), they all steal the focus.

Isn't this stealing of the focus coming from an interaction between the internet explorer and each browser plugin (or similar) showing the files? At least I also saw this behaviour with other software (like pdf preview in freecommander, ...(there were other...)). So it can probably not be directly addressed from UR.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 AM

I hadn't tried it till now but asksam has the same problem, pdf files loose focus web pages dont.

Is there a way that Ultra recall could be made to overcome this as an option in the future?

For me brousing items when I need to would be so much easier.

Other times changing focus is ok but the times I do want to browse it is a pain.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:13 AM

Is there a way as an improvment to UR to stop any files steeling focus from the data explorer so it would be possible to browse ?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eno
Is there a way as an improvment to UR to stop any files steeling focus from the data explorer so it would be possible to browse ?
Look @ Options | Miscellaneous for some focus settings. Not sure it will solve all your problems but may help w some of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Have tried but with no joy, it seems that word excel and pdf files when using the programs within UR are the problem and its these programs that are stealing the focus.

I would love to be able to force UR Data explorer to keep the focus on ALL data types when I choose to, other times the behaviour is ok.

So I ask please can it be done ? Please --- please ----- please.

There thats my crawling for today ;-)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM

Is there any chance of a fix in UR to stop word excel and pdf files when using Office etc. stealing focus from data explorer?

As a switch so people can choose the behavior as required.

I know other programs have the same problem so a fix in UR would be even more sweet.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 AM

Surely I cant be the only one that this problem affects?
Is there a possibility of a fix for this problem?

Please ;-)

Last edited by eno; 04-03-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 AM

I saw this problem with attribute fields. If I switch to a new item in the tree, the focus moves to the first field, even when I have the configuration options set to prevent this.

However, I did notice that this is only a problem when I have the tree undocked (floating), which I use frequently since I run two monitors.

So if I want to cycle through the tree, I have to doc the tree first, to prevent focus theft.

Wonder if that helps anyone else...
Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 AM

Re: Losing Focus - Significance?

Quote:
Originally posted by eno
My problem is that if I want to scroll down the list of films in data explorer one after the other, I can highlight one title but the focus jumps to the display of that particular film rather than staying on and in the data explorer.
Not meaning to cause too much of a distraction from the "loss of focus" discussion, I draw attention back to what is presumably the "main" hassle that eno wanted to resolve, scrolling through items in the Data Explorer pane. I wonder how you are going with the good old fashioned <Ctrl><,> and <Ctrl><.> for moving previous/next through the DE pane?

When brand new to UR, I read about these keystrokes whilst diligently going through the help documentation from top to bottom. However, I neglected them until also confronted with this focus style of problem.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM

First I see in the 2007 roadmap Kinook have said they will try to fix in the next release

"Prevent browser/detail pane from stealing focus"

I hope this means what it says.

The problem is when word, excel pdf files in UR are using there associated programs to view them, its then when the focus is lost.
I know that Kinook can not mess with other peoples programs Word etc. but if they could fix the problem within UR it would be wonderfull.

I think the same problem is with other programs I used ask sam and that did the same so if it could be fixed in UR it would make a good program even better.

The Ctrl , or Ctrl . Does not seem to do anything with these files?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: