Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 AM

ETA for a calendar?

Sorry, Kinook, you must be tired of people asking this. Maybe you could add the answer to your FAQ forum?

(FA)Q: When - to the nearest year - do you think you might bring out an update with a full calendar? So I can create a dated task that'll appear there, or create a task via the calendar that'll appear in the tree?

UR's nearest rivals (InfoQube, Zoot - only ones I can find that also let you define your own database fields) both have calendars, but I prefer UR to both, and after relying on it for 6 years I'm in no hurry to learn a whole new interface.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Most likely in 2012.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks!

(If you can say anything more - first half or last half? - that'd be helpful too, of course. )
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up Hooray!

FYI, I"m looking forward to the calendar function immensely, too!

,,,and I will be watching for future updates on:
-- the calendar timeline and
-- planned calendar features.

In the meantime, where is the preferred place (if any?) for us to submit specific feature requests for the calendar?

Thanks,
Metta
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Just wondering....

Are we still looking at the possibility of a calendar release sometime before the end of this year, or has the timeline for this feature now rolled out into 2013?

With appreciation and interest,
Metta
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator

It's still a possibility.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Great! Thanks so much for your prompt feedback.

I'll be looking forward to the possibility of the calendar showing up sooner rather than later -- but, if it rolls out a bit, I've found a way manage in the meantime by integrating UltraRecall with another desktop calendar (since I'm very visually oriented, the calendar display is easier for me to use than the filter function) -- and what makes this integration possible is the fact that I can link to individual items within UltraRecall from my calendar app.

As far as I'm concerned, this item linking option is one of UltraRcall's most versatile and flexible features. I've never seen this in any other PIM/database program (in spite of having reviewed dozens of them), and I use it all the time!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metta View Post
Great! Thanks so much for your prompt feedback.

I'll be looking forward to the possibility of the calendar showing up sooner rather than later -- but, if it rolls out a bit, I've found a way manage in the meantime by integrating UltraRecall with another desktop calendar (since I'm very visually oriented, the calendar display is easier for me to use than the filter function) -- and what makes this integration possible is the fact that I can link to individual items within UltraRecall from my calendar app.

As far as I'm concerned, this item linking option is one of UltraRcall's most versatile and flexible features. I've never seen this in any other PIM/database program (in spite of having reviewed dozens of them), and I use it all the time!

I also use a calendar program to accomplish the same thing. I also agree about the linking within UR. I use UR's command line function to link the calendar enrty to a UR item. Not all calendar programs do well with this, but EssentialPIM works. An added benefit is the ability to synch with Google Calendar.

May I ask which program you use?

Jon
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Smile UR, EPIM, VM, DB and Syncing

Jon, thanks so much for your feedback! I'm delighted to know you've managed to use UR with the calendar function in EssentialPIM.

In fact, I was recently thinking about looking at EPIM again for exactly this purpose, so now I'm curious: are you also syncing EPIM between computers?

It looks like EPIM provides some good functionality in this regard, and this would be essential for me because I regularly alternate between my PC and a netbook.

As for the app I'm using, last night I really should have said, "I think I've found a way manage in the meantime....". The app with which I'm testing UR integration is VueMinder.

It appears to be a robust, feature-reach, user-friendly application (I suspect the same could be said for EPIM), and what I'll be doing this evening is testing my ability to sync VM between both of my computers using Dropbox. (I regularly run a number of databases from within DB, and it works beautifully.)

However, in light of your feedback, I may also give EPIM another test run, as well. When I looked at it before several years ago, EPIM did not provide the PIM functionality I was looking for -- but combining it with UR might be a winning combination.

In light of this, if you have time, please tell me more about:
-- how you are using the 2 apps together (including your syncing method, if applicable), along with....
-- any hints and tips you'd recommend for someone interested in creating data connections between UR and a calendar app.

With appreciation and interest,
Metta

P.S.
Among other things, VueMinder can sync with BOTH Google Calendar and Outlook.

Last edited by Metta; 10-04-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Question Which info goes where?

With another quick look at EPIM, I like the fact that it includes email functionality since that would be useful to me on my netbook -- and the unlimited database capacity is a huge (no pun intended) benefit.

Also, may I ask:
-- Do you use the "Notes" function in EPIM?
-- If so, what is your criteria for determining:
` which notes go into EPIM and
` which notes go into UltraRecall?

To be honest, my biggest concern now with introducing a new calendar app into the mix is that I may soon lose track of what information I put where!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
With another quick look at EPIM, I like the fact that it includes email functionality since that would be useful to me on my netbook -- and the unlimited database capacity is a huge (no pun intended) benefit.

Also, may I ask:
-- Do you use the "Notes" function in EPIM?
-- If so, what is your criteria for determining:

To be honest, my biggest concern now with introducing a new calendar app into the mix is that I may soon lose track of what information I put where!
Some of the questions you asked earlier will be answered here.

I try not to use the notes function in EPIM. All notations are kept in UR. Why? Because it is impossible to definitively decide on criteria as to which belongs where. There are too many gray areas. Although it is extra effort, I "schedule" appointments first within UR and create all links to the appointment item. The command line is then copied and pasted into the appropriate slot in EPIM's calendar. I can put a brief description, and I am set. A click on the appointment link in EPIM takes me to UR with all of the supporting information I need. Is it clunky? Yes, but until UR gains a calendar (I seriously doubt it ever will), it will do. The serious disadvantages come with printing a calendar (because most of the content remains in UR) and in synching to Google calendar. This is why you would be tempted to keep your notes in EPIM.

For these reasons I don't heavily rely on synching, other than using Google Calendar as a reminder. My UR database and EPIM file gets copied to a USB stick and it goes with me. I can also use dropbox or something similar. UR and EPIM come in portable versions, so you can bring these along too.

Jon
Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Well to confuse you even more, I am a long time user of InfoQube and it's closest ancestor Ecco Pro. InfoQube has progressed so much that I have left Ecco Pro largely behind. The latest development cycle includes an upgraded calendar with which I can do exactly what I was doing in EPIM. I rely heavily on both UR and IQ and only got into EPIM to make up for UR's lack of a calendar. Now with IQ's improved calendar, I think I can eliminate EPIM. I am testing this now and it looks promising.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 PM

EPIM & InfoQube

Thank you again, Jon, for your very helpful feedback!

This is getting interesting since I am a former Ecco Pro user, as well. I had, in fact, been using it exclusively for over a decade until I bumped up against it's capacity limits a little over a year ago, and that's what sent me on the quest for the Holy Grail of PIM software.

It actually looks like we've traveled similar paths on this journey, and I'll be interested ow in comparing notes (no pun intended) in more detail. However, I'm heading out of town now, so I'll have to reconnect when I return at which point I, too, will take a look at InfoQube.

In the meantime, I'll send you a quick private message for our follow-up since we've clearly diverged from UR support issues....

Thanks again!

Tags
calendar , linking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: