Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 PM

More on Word Template

Hi,

I created a Word template and imported it into URP3. The template includes a variety of styles, and of course, styles are not yet native to URP3 (hopefully one day?)

As long as I open and close an item based on my template without making any changes from within URP3, the word template and its styles are preserved.

But if I make even one change and then perform an undo and then Ctrl+J out to Word, the template is no longer attached and the text is all just stylized Normal.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to do small edits in URP3 and keep the relationship to the original template?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

UR just updates the imported item from the saved document if it has been modified outside of UR; it doesn't know or do anything with Word templates or styles defined in or used by the imported document. Is the UR template item a Word template file and not a Word document? Perhaps a Word document with styles stored within it should be used as the UR template item?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 AM

Re: More on Word Template

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse

I created a Word template and imported it into URP3.
After creating the Word Template (.dot), do you then Save that .dot to a .doc, then Import the .doc to the UR Templates Folder.

Although, UR will recognize the .dot, I found that the above sequence gives better results - I don't recall what the problems were with Importing the .dot, but this is process that's working for me.

It's also important to Store (Copy, Move) when doing the Import to the Templates Folder. If you just Link, then changes (edits) to the derived Items will be reflected back to the UR Template (of the Word document). The derived Items of a Stored Template are independent of the UR source Template.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Actually - I created a document based on my Word template and saved it as base1.rtf.

Closing and opening base1.rtf in Word confirmed that the styles persevere in the RTF format.

I imported the RTF file into the URP3 templates folder - storing, not linking.

Now I can create a new item based on the template, but if I change so much as a single character, the styles are lost. The text looks the same, but going out to Word, the styles aren't associated with the text.

I'm talking basic styles like Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.

Now let me head off one possible side discussion. Why RTF instead of DOC? Because on my machine I can't for the life of me get UPR3 to show .doc files within the URP3 interface. RTF files work fine. I don't have the patience to monkey around trying to get that to work, especially when RTF is good enough.

Thanks!

Regards,
Bal