Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 09:57 PM

Merging Info Items

One usage issue I find pretty restricting in UR is the inability to merge item infos. Today, I was doing a research on roboform support for UR. I took snippets from about 30 sites and ended collecting 40 info items of type documen (UR defalt when you drag from web to tree).

Now, I want to put all these snippets in one RTF report and clean it up as a final research paper. How am I supposed to do this in UR?

I see that UR only supports merging text items and it does it in an inefficient way that is counter intuitive. Compare this to another solution where you simply multi-select items, right Clint, and select merge.

I have also read that I can export the items to a file then import the file back into UR!!!! Please, I consider such suggestion unacceptable.

How are other users managing this in UR?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Administrator

We'll consider how to simplify this, but the current method for merging multiple text items seemed fairly efficient to us:
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/combineinfoitems.htm

If your goal is to combine multiple web pages into a single RTF document, instead of pasting each page into the tree to create separate web page items, you could either
a) paste each page into the details of a single text item (after copying a selection or a Select All of the entire page from the browser)
b) Edit | Paste Special | Rich Text, then combine the created text items
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM

Kinook,
I agree it can be done this way and I've been resorting to this method so far. However, let me just say this ...

For any procedure in UR to be done, there is an optimal and efficient way, a workaround, and there may not be away (by design). I have spent the last 3 days going through the entire forum with all its threads one by one.

New comers usually may see things that existing users do not the fact that they come with new and fresh vision and expectation. My concern is that the UR team have felt comfortable with some features they should not have been. And more often than I liked, they suggest work-arounds and shortcuts that serve nothing but downgrade people's expectation of UR. This is vs implementing these features NATIVELY in UR. This is bad for the company and the product on the long run. There are some examples...
- FireFox--> use lanuchy
- copy/link OL items from within one --> user-made macro.
- highlight search hits in browser--> use handyfind
- for my case here, why not just drag a clip from the native browser onto an existing info item to have it simply append to it (just like net snippets).

My point here, we should strive to design and implement the best feature EVER POSSIBLE NATIVELY into the application. It is the these little things that eventually add up to make users go out looking for something else.

Execuse me for doing this passionate reply but I know UR has a top ranking position in this category. Unless we find and implement the best-of-bread features into the application, patching it using 3rd party utilities and better-than-nothing features or workaround will hurt UR badly.

Thanks .