Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM

duplicate item names

I'm a relatively new user so I'm sure this info is somewhere but I've not managed to find it so far. I'm puzzled by UR allowing items with duplicate names in the same folder.

I imported a Word file I'd been working on elsewhere into UR from my USB key. I then decided to import the small folder of other material I already had in My documents on my PC too, and move the modified file ino it. What I was expecting was that UR would spot that there were going to be two files with the same name at the same location and offer me to either overwrite with the newer one, or cancel or some such thing. Instead I now have two files with the same name in the same place. I have looked at the attributes, and they are different in other details like their size and the access count, so they are not the same thing I don't think, but it is not clear from there or the data pane which is the up-to-date one, as the times relate to when the items were imported.

thanks
Ian
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM

First, what version of Ultra Recall are you using, Standard or Professional? The "Create logically linked items for duplicate urls" option is only available with the Pro version.

If you are using the Pro version, then enabling this option (enabled by default) will prevent duplicate url values when importing urls, creating a logical link instead of reimporting the same url if imported in a different location than the existing Info Item.

You can always manually create items with duplicate urls (it is not prevented) and Ultra Recall does not attempt to prevent duplicate titles, which it attempts to obtain from the url (other than to ensure that the default title of a new Info Item is unique from its siblings when manually inserted).
Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 PM

HI Kevina

Yes I have the pro version, you are right.

The logical linking is indicated by the arrow-link icon that looks like the windows shortcut icon. But, they don't have this icon, just the normal one for word documents.

I have just had a look at the URLs and the difference is there as you say - one has the D: prefix for referencing the USB key.

Maybe my laptop was just getting in a mood yesterday anyway - UR had also stopped showing the toolbar tips, and I couldn't get that going either - the option setting was OK and after and stopping UR and starting it again it was the same thing. Today the tips are miraculously back :-). I have an idea my PC needs an overhaul. It takes an age to restart - more than 10 mins. I have used registry cleaner, defraged it, removed lots of redundant software etc. but I suspect the registry or whatever is just getting clogged up to the gills with junk and maybe even UR gets confused. I think later on UR actually crashed, which is when I decided to turn the PC off and go to the pub.

I dunno... Life...

Ian

Last edited by ianh; 01-11-2007 at 04:10 PM.