Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 AM

Share with us - Why did you stick with UR for all these years?

Wish Kinook & all forum users a happy holiday season.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to call upon the loyal users of UR to share why we stuck with UR throughout the years.

I'll start ....

I've been using UR since about 2007. About to enter tenth year. I have a set of a productivity apps I have been using in my IT career for the past 15 years. I'm not exaggerating to say UR is at the very top of this list. It is the number one reason why I still use MS windows today.

Today, I have 4 UR databases that captured every piece of information I have learned in these 15 years. They all take about 700MB !

What it has provided me is so unique ...

1) The info items tree allowed me to always stay focused on the 'big picture' and zoon in/out (expand/collapse) as per the need at the time. Sometimes, I needed to make 'process' decision so I review the tree. Others, I needed to execute a process, so I zoomed in to the deepest item.

2) Allowed me continue to evolve knowledge incrementally and associate 'new' knowledge with existing one. This is nature of knowledge, grows a little bit every day and 'fits' in with prior one.

3) Allowed me to be the first & most effective when I needed to decide or execute RIGHT now. Its search functionality is so effective, I'm able to access 15 years worth of knowledge in few seconds. Multiple times, I remember having to deal with disastrous failures which we needed to resolve now. When others were running around googling and searching folders and files, I was ready to execute in a matter of seconds using UR.

Throughout these 10 years, Kinook's support was there within hours-notice. I hardly can remember an occasion I had to wait over a day to get support.

For all these years, the great support, the value UR has added to my life, I say, thank you.

I wish Kinook the most prosperous future and wish UR to continue to impact the lives of so many others the way it did mine.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 10:33 AM

I fully second cnewtonne's post about UR!

I might add that while I have tried probably just about every available note-taking/information management program for Windows. and a fair amount on iOS as well - I remain an inveterate CRIMPer - the fact remains that there is nothiing comparable to UR for either of these operating systems.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Using UR

I am glad to have the chance to join you.

I have used Ultra Recall for 6 years or more.

The reason? Despite having trialled (and(indeed paid for) far more expensive alternatives I keep coming back to UR as the most flexible and best value for money personal document management system that is available.

Yes and Kinook's prompt support is valued as well,

Best wishes for 2017,

John M.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Agreed. I've also been using for probably 10 years. Because of its cross-platform, cloud sync, and mobile capabilities (and because my wife uses it), I have tried on multiple occasions to migrate to OneNote, but always come back to Ultra Recall because it lets me organize things so well, that everything else feels like intolerable chaos!

Curse you, Kinook! Your product is TOO GOOD!!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 AM

It seems longer than it is! I have a URD going back to 2007-09-28. It's an important tool for me - organiser.urd is the second item that is opened by my login script, once my bespoke context-menu control centre is running.

I use URp for so many key aspects of my computing life: requirements traceability (I'm still developing an inter-URD logical linking capability), software auditing, VM development, electronic component database and so on. I have a couple of dozen active databases, many more in archive.

Thank you Kinook! Now about this template copying bug...
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Smile 10 years for Me too. I love it.

I don't know what I would do without this program. It does everything I want. I consider myself a power user. I import all item formats, set up forms, change attributes, use keywords. If I want to find something at my non-profit, this makes it possible, both for my paper-based boss, and for me to facilitate this with easy cut and pasting, quick searching, easy storage of PDFs, and more. Love it!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Because I used Treepad for a long time, and UR is better

I worked with Treepad for many years. Ultra Recall is more flexible, has existing templates dedicated to topics like GTD.

And it's Sqlite based, and easier to extract PIM data externally.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:07 PM

UR just works

My husband purchased UR for me years and years ago. We tried a LOT of other programs and always had problems, or the software just did not do what we wanted it to do.
My husband has since passed but UR just keeps on working, and it does what "I" need it to do..
I have had very few problems, but more important the problems, user problems as well as other problems, received prompt attention and resolution..
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up my 2c

I am a newbie, but I have tested UR on on and off bases for about three years. It appears solid (not crashing).
It does not introduce absolute nonsense like so many other apps calling it new and improved features (+many new bugs).
I love multi-parenting. That was my main need.
I love that I can input a folder existing on my HDD as one of the items, while the files and folders in the item keep reflecting their current status on the HDD.
I love the toolbars that can be customized very nicely.
I love the overall feeling of the app, which feels just at home. No nonsence and useless BS around, not fads like ribbon toolbars.
It respects custom windows colors and ClearType settings.
the Workflow is pretty nice, more or less very easy to get into.

k

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: